ROOTING / MODS / TWEAKING your Sylvania Tablet

JPardee

Mar 26, 2011
For those of you struggling to root or modify your tablet, I am creating a thread to help you.

I have attached two links to apps that work with the Sylvania tablets, to help you get started with your tweaking experience.

First:
Download -> UniversalAndroot-1.6.2.apk
This is pretty self-explanitory. Install -> Click "Root" -> Reboot revice when done

Second:
root explorer
This is pretty self-explanitory

Now you are set up to remove any unnecessary applications from your device.

- Open Root Explorer
- Navigate to: system -> app
- This is where you will find apps that can be removed to help speed up your device.
(I have copied the .apk files to my SD card that I decided to remove)
(Once copied to the SD card, navigate to system -> app folder, long-click on the .apk files you have decided to delete, and click delete)

- Remember to reboot your device
(I did have a hanging device when deleting the phone.apk file. Try restarting with the reset button on the back of the device

I had removed Phone and Telephony .apk files.
In result, my device is responding much better.

These steps have been performed on my SYNET7LP (Android 2.2)

Please feel free to add tweaks to this thread. I am no professional, feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of these steps.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Cool. Thanx man! Ok. To get things rolling I will go through your steps on my EX7 with Froyo 2.2 installed. See if it all works the same. I have found that I can do a recovery (3 finger salute) on my EX7 now with 2.2 installed. :) And I still have the SD card with it to flash if things go very wrong. So I have no fear!

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I successfully removed the Phone.apk and the Telephony.apk! I did the phone first and got error after error and every time I hit the OK button it would just pop up again. A re boot resolved that error and I was able to delete Telephony & camera with out problem.
Just doing this... I fully charged my Tab and started to goof around. I surfed the web. Watched videos, both off my SD and streaming from YouTube. It all seemed really smooth and responsive. well 3 hours later, after non stop use, my batt widget said I was still @ 58% charge. Before I couldn't make it through a full viewing of Arsenic & Old Lace on a full charge.
Using Root Explorer I am looking at the other files in the system/app folder. Some are easy to tell what they are, others not so much, but I don't know what else I should strip out that isn't being used by my Tab.
In another thread I suggested that maybe we could remove the APKs from the stock DG2.02 to replace the ones in the DG2.2, and if so couldn't we build a custom ROM like this with out having to mess with img files and all that mess.

Any thoughts?

JPardee

Mar 26, 2011
I'm not sure that there would be compatibility issues.
Worse case, you have to hard-reset the unit.

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
I successfully removed the Phone.apk and the Telephony.apk! I did the phone first and got error after error and every time I hit the OK button it would just pop up again. A re boot resolved that error and I was able to delete Telephony & camera with out problem.

Same exact experience here, Phone took some repetative effort but the Telephony and Bluetooth APKs deleted without a problem.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I just found out that on my EX7 flashed with the "11.2.1.5.2.0_beta3_1.ius" file not only does the new "My Pad" file not have the Tab for FTP to connect to the FTP server on my NAS, but it seems to not like the SD card. Last night I was able to use root explorer to copy the phone and camera files to the SD card before I deleted them. but today I put some JPG files on a flash drive to put on the SD card. But when I go to the Flash Drave and select my file and hit "copy" then go to the SD card and hit paste it says "no more space for paste, please check!"
I also notice that in the lower left hand corner where it should list the total and free memory it just says "/mnt/sdcard." It says this for the SD tab and for the UDisk tab it says "/mnt/udisk."
This HAS to be bad code. I will spend the afternoon pulling the APKs off my stock EX7 (DG2.01) to try to replace the "defective" ones on the EX7 with Froyo (DG2.20)

Fingers crossed!

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Ok. so no luck so far. But I did, in my search for knowledge, find this little tid-bit 'O info that I know we will all find very useful!

How To Delete Stock Android 2.2 Apps From Android Phone | Jaxov

This page tells you the commands to list all the stock apps on your tab and how to remove them all in the terminal.
I know all this can be done from root explorer but knowing the commands is a good thing.

I haven't found the apk that runs the My Pad yet. any ideas. I have to run these commands on my STOCK EX7 and see what it has and start comparing file sizes and go from there...
I am so eager to jump in, but I gotta know where to jump first. lol

Last edited:

Spindizy

Apr 20, 2011
Ive been hacking on android since I got my first g1.

One little tip, that after you root, will make things easier for you...

Rather than typing in 'mount -o remount,rw ......etc,etc,etc.' ..... If you have ADB installed (and you probably do, if you did the market hack...) make sure ADB connects to it, and then type, 'adb remount' and it will take care of remounting the system partition read/write for you.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Rather than typing in 'mount -o remount,rw ......etc,etc,etc.' ..... If you have ADB installed (and you probably do, if you did the market hack...) make sure ADB connects to it, and then type, 'adb remount' and it will take care of remounting the system partition read/write for you.

Spindizy,

"adb remount" used to work on this device with version DG2.02 (Android 2.1 "Eclair") however, ever since updating to DG2.20 (Android 2.2 "Froyo") I receive "remount failed: Operation not permitted". The device is rooted with AndRoot 1.6.1 and even tried 1.6.2 beta. When connecting through adb shell I only get Shell permission, not Root but I can su "SuperUser" into root where I've used the mount commands to get around this issue.

What is the fix to get back to directly having root permissions from adb? Thanks, any insight from your experience would be greatly appreciated because not being able to push anything to /system without root permissions is a pain.

Here's what displayed when attempting "abd remount".

Code:
C:\>adb connect 192.168.1.3:5555
connected to 192.168.1.3:5555

C:\>adb remount
[B][COLOR=black]remount failed: Operation not permitted[/COLOR][/B]

C:\>adb shell
$

$ su
su
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
[B]/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 [COLOR=red]ro[/COLOR],relatime 0 0[/B]
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /local yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp936,iocharset=cp936,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp936,iocharset=cp936,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
#
The extended commands only work when at root -

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
#
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
[B]/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 [COLOR=blue]rw[/COLOR],relatime 0 0[/B]
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /local yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,u
id=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp936,iocharset
=cp936,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relat
ime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp936,ioch
arset=cp936,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
#

Last edited:

gharne9

May 5, 2011
I found and downloaded root explorer, but can't get any adks to delete. It says deleting then when I shut down and repower the tablet the programs are still on it.

epeereboom

Dec 19, 2010
Have you used Universal Androot to root your tab yet? If you have, I suggest unrooting and then rooting again.

Sent from my p7901a using Tapatalk

jpmi23

May 3, 2011
I found and downloaded root explorer, but can't get any adks to delete. It says deleting then when I shut down and repower the tablet the programs are still on it.

Additionally, make sure the system is ready to read and write (r/w) rather than read only (r/o). To change it, just touch the "r/w" button. After that you should be able to move ahead with the process... if you're properly rooted of course.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
For those of you struggling to root or modify your tablet, I am creating a thread to help you.
I have attached two links to apps that work with the Sylvania tablets, to help you get started with your tweaking experience.
First:
Download -> UniversalAndroot-1.6.2.apk
This is pretty self-explanitory. Install -> Click "Root" -> Reboot revice when done

NOPE
Doesn't' work, get the error FAILED No ~~ FuGoo ~~
on my EX7