Rooting my Transformer

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
This is a great tool, but please do research before rooting with this easy tool.

I used it, installed CWM recovery and flashed a custom ROM and kernel. My TF is running better than ever (OC'd to 1.4 GHz).

It makes it almost too easy for people to root just to say they rooted.

Slarti

Dec 14, 2011
It makes it almost too easy for people to root just to say they rooted.
As a tablet rookie, and pooter user-not-knower, this "rooting" business is all new to me. What is the benefit of doing so - for someone not so wise in the inner workings of these machines?

For a piece of amusement, in Australia, "rooting" is a semi-rude term for fornicating, a bit ruder (say) than "screwing", but more polite than the universal swear-word. Gives Fred's above quote a whole new slant. If you were to tell an Aussie that "you rooted your tablet", he would assume that you would need to go out and buy another one, as it will never work again.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Rooting has the same connotation here, at least in the American SE.

Anyway, the quick answer is Android is a Linux-based system, Rooting means you are gaining Root Access (or Superuser) to the device. This gives you full access to the entire system and it also allows you to do things like add and remove apps that require a highler level of access.

We have some excellent links here on rooting if you want more details.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
As a tablet rookie, and pooter user-not-knower, this "rooting" business is all new to me. What is the benefit of doing so - for someone not so wise in the inner workings of these machines?

For a piece of amusement, in Australia, "rooting" is a semi-rude term for fornicating, a bit ruder (say) than "screwing", but more polite than the universal swear-word. Gives Fred's above quote a whole new slant. If you were to tell an Aussie that "you rooted your tablet", he would assume that you would need to go out and buy another one, as it will never work again.

LOL

Here is a great article on rooting for Android in general:

http://droidlessons.com/what-is-rooting-on-android-the-advantages-and-disadvantages/

I rooted my Transformer for a few reasons.

I wanted to change some of the keys on the keyboard dock (make the lock key a delete key, swap the ALT and Search to make ALT-TAB switching more windows like)
To install a custom ROM that has different features, and options for themes as well as some bug fixes over the standard ROM. Also have the ability to use a USB 3G modem if I want to.
To install a custom kernel that will allow me to overclock when I want more CPU power for gaming, and to underclock when I do not need the horsepower to extend battery life.
Full system backup with Titanium Backup
Install some apps that require root access (like Honeybar that hides the status bar at the bottom of the screen when you want to hide it)

It does technically void your warranty, but most cases you can unroot if you know what you are doing before sending it back in for service.