Rooting Nook Color 8gb?

Javin007

Mar 21, 2012
Is it possible to root the Nook Color 8gb running 1.4.2?

I've heard it's not entirely possible. I installed the "Go Launcher Ex" Using an SD card image, but am still unable to install "unknown files." Checking that box in settings doesn't work as it only unchecks again as soon as you leave. Also, the original Nook OS continues to run in the background eating half the RAM.

Is this possible to root yet?

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Is it possible to root the Nook Color 8gb running 1.4.2?

I've heard it's not entirely possible. I installed the "Go Launcher Ex" Using an SD card image, but am still unable to install "unknown files." Checking that box in settings doesn't work as it only unchecks again as soon as you leave. Also, the original Nook OS continues to run in the background eating half the RAM.

Is this possible to root yet?

If you meant the Nook Color:
[NC][1.4.1][1.4.2] ManualNooter 5.02.19 - xda-developers

but if the Nook tablet:
Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market) - xda-developers
Bootable Root SDCard 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4.2 - xda-developers

Hope this helps.

BR/Shutter

Droid360

Jun 17, 2012

You can definitely root by yourself and save money. I decided to spend some money and just buy a pre-rooted card. I didn't get it from n2a (too expensive) though. I got it from a company called Nr Cards from amazon. You can try going to nookrootedcards.com too. I realize I could of done it for free, but for those who don't wanna risk rooting it yourself (not tech savy), this may be a safer option.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
You can root both the Nook Color and Nook Tablet yourself and those are some pretty good links ShutterPeep shared with you but like Droid360 I recommend purchasing a rooted sd card. That way you dont void the warranty on your Nook and you get great tech support well at least with N2A Cards you get great customer service, I dont know about NR because I have never used them. I recommend www.n2acards.com