Rooting Questions and Problems

Fitzwaryn

Aug 25, 2010
Trying to root the new Gentouch and having a spot of bother with it.

Followed the procedures in the sticky but here's where I'm hitting a wall.

I've installed the Augen USB driver and am able to access the SD card and internal storage. Able to move files to and from it with no problem.

I've got the Android SDK installed and running. I've had it in for some time, tinkering with Eclipse and the development environment building simple programs for testing.

When I hook up the Gentouch and run ADB devices it displays:
List of devices attached

and then nothing.

I've run USBDeview and it reports the following:

Android Eclair USB Composite Device Unknown
Android Eclair USB Mass Storage Device Mass Storage
Android Eclair Android Eclair Vendor Specific

I've uninstalled all of them and tried installing the USB driver with the SDK. It reports as no compatible devices. The driver does not seem to recognize the devices. Or perhaps Windows simply is not able to connect the driver with the devices.

Cannot seem to find a driver that works with the "Composite Device" which is the one I imagine is causing the problem.

None of the ADB commands seem to interact with the Gentouch at all.

The internal and external storage is turned off. The USB debugging is turned on. Tried every combination I can imagine and cannot establish any kind of communication between ADB and the device.

Probably missing some simple, obvious step.... obvious to everyone else that is.

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction?

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
  1. Go to computer property.
  2. Go to device manager.
  3. right click and uninstall "generic usb hub" that's associated with your gentouch.
  4. also right click and uninstall the 3 storage devices that appear when you plug in your gentouch.
  5. Unplug your gentouch usb.
  6. Replug your gentouch usb.
  7. In device manager, you should see "Android Eclair". Click on it and update.
I'm sure you can go from there. Tell me if you need more precise instructions.

Fitzwaryn

Aug 25, 2010
That's exactly the point where I'm hitting a wall.

I've uninstalled the drivers. Done it from USBDeview. Done it form Device Manager. Unplugged and replugged to see the device fresh.

Try to force it to use the SDK usb_driver instead. When I just direct it to the subdirectory with the driver it reports unable to find software.

When I do a direct reference o the android_winusb_inf file it responds with does not contain information about your hardware.

I know how to replace drivers in Windows but the usb driver in the Android SDK simply does not seem to see the device. The only driver I can get to recognize the device at all is the Augen USB driver and that only allows access to the drives. (i.e. Composite Device and Mas Storage Device. Android Eclair--> no driver)

Same thing when I go directly to the Augen USB driver and reference the vtcdrv.inf file with it.

None of the drivers seem to work for the Android Eclair device.

(BTW, I checked to be sure the USB driver in the SDK is the revision 3 driver)

1. Go to computer property.
  2. Go to device manager.
  3. right click and uninstall "generic usb hub" that's associated with your gentouch.
  4. also right click and uninstall the 3 storage devices that appear when you plug in your gentouch.
  5. Unplug your gentouch usb.
  6. Replug your gentouch usb.
  7. In device manager, you should see "Android Eclair". Click on it and update.
I'm sure you can go from there. Tell me if you need more precise instructions.

Last edited:

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
Ok, I see you're using x64 win 7?

Right after the step where you press "browse my computer for drivers" you need to choose "let me pick from a list of devices blah blah blah".

If you get an error message, just close it and continue. If you've had an android device plugged in before, then select phone. If not, select list all devices. Make sure you select adb interface.

The point is if you have x64 you need to manually browse to the folder and manually select the usb driver.

Fitzwaryn

Aug 25, 2010
No I'm running 32 bit XP.

Ok, I see you're using x64 win 7?

Right after the step where you press "browse my computer for drivers" you need to choose "let me pick from a list of devices blah blah blah".

If you get an error message, just close it and continue. If you've had an android device plugged in before, then select phone. If not, select list all devices. Make sure you select adb interface.

The point is if you have x64 you need to manually browse to the folder and manually select the usb driver.

Fitzwaryn

Aug 25, 2010
I'll go over the sequence I'm using and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1. Installed the SDK and Eclipse 2 weeks ago. Did some development work building some elementary applications to learn the process. Everything worked fine.

2. Got the Gentouch in late last week.

3. Installed the most recent USB driver from the Augen site. When plugged in the device shows in Device manager as:

Under other Devices:
?Android Eclair and the new device process reports cannot install, no driver found.

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
USB Composite Device (with driver shown as C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys)
USB Mass Storage Device (with driver shown as C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS)

4. The SDcard and Internal storage is accessible as drives in Files Explorer.

5. Tried the Root process described in the sticky.

6. Uninstalled the drivers for all the Android devices. Unplugged the device then replugged it to the USB cable.

7. Tried to point the new device process to the USB drivers under the SDk directories. It reports software not found. Tried again selecting "Don't search. Let me choose the driver to install.", selecting All Devices, Have Disk and pointing directly to the .inf file in the USB_driver folder under the SDk and it reports "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

I've tried this on two different systems, both running 32 bit XP with the same results. On one I already had the SDK and Eclipse installed. On the other I installed the Augen drivers then the SDK and got the same results.

Regardless, there remains an Android Eclair devices listed under Other Devices in Device manager and I can't find a driver that will install for that device definition.