Rooting the A500

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
First of all, I'm sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else but I tried to search ONLY the Acer Iconia Tab A500 Forum and I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

That being said, I just picked up my A500 and, overall, I am pretty happy with it...BUT, you knew that was coming didn't you, I need VPN access to my Cisco network and a couple other things and everywhere I have been looking says you need to root your tablet. That being said, most places have specific instructions for each phone/tablet/etc. Has anyone rooted their A500, can it be done yet, and does anyone have the steps for doing it?

Thanks in advance for answering a noobie question. Maybe I'm just being impatient but I figured it is a question floating around on a couple of minds.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Welcome,

The same question came to my mind, although I am happy with the way 3.0 works out of the box. As for rooting I believe Acer must first release its bootloader to the modding community, based on what ive read on other devices, which I dont think it has yet. However, since the device is only about a week on the market now and motoroloa has allowed xoom users to root their device, id say the future is looking bright!

crunchpunch

Apr 27, 2011
i haven't had the time to test it out yet but the gingerbreak root apk is said to work on honeycomb. You can find the apk on xda.

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
The problem with buying a device right when it comes out is you have to wait for a while before it gets rooted. I'm cool waiting though, but it would be nice to over clock this bad boy'

baldbear

Apr 28, 2011
i haven't had the time to test it out yet but the gingerbreak root apk is said to work on honeycomb. You can find the apk on xda.
Just tried it, it will install but crashes on running (I have a feeling it's because "sdcard" is part of the memory on this device and cannot be unmounted)

nycbjr

Mar 12, 2011
Hey guys, I have a thread going over at xda.. I'm working (along with a few others) on this, including looking at the gingerbreak xploit and getting it to run.

I'll keep you posted here as well.

At least this site has a dedicated forum for the A500..

If anyone wants to join us over there, just search for A500 on xda. (not sure what the policy on linking is here)

sheba611

Apr 22, 2011
I too have a rooted A500! I used Dropbox to download and install the Gingerbreak app. No need to connect to PC and use adb commands. Worked great. In 2 minutes I had a rooted A500. Downloaded and installed Titanium Backup and Root Explorer.

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
One easy way of doing this is, follow the link and download the Apk file from the bottom of the post using your A500. Go to a file manager, I use Astro. Go to sdcard then to download and install the apk. Make sure you are in portrait mode and run it. It is just that easy. You do have to enable debugging. And you need a sd card installed.

Last edited:

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
I saw the post on xda and when I tried to download the apk it said I had to register. I registered and now it says that since I am a noobie I can't access those forums. I found the apk elsewhere on the Net but the post said it was a modded apk so I don't want to use the wrong one. Anyone know another location for that file? All these extensions are driving me crazy. FYI, if I don't get that apk asap I'll be a PITA...lol. Thanks

BTW, someone asked why root. In my instance, I need to connect to a Cisco VPN and the only way to do that is to root my A500 and apply a mod to allow me to do this. I also heard that I could install a mod to allow me to tether my A500 to my iPhone 4 via ad hoc...I would love to be able to take some money away from AT&T (so to speak). I know there are tons more reasons to root, but those are a couple of my primaries (I feel a good thread coming on here).