Rooting VTAB with Honeycomb

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
So far nobody has found a program loophole to root the HC VTAB. News of the rooting is usually found here. From what they are saying, the reason that HC took so long to be release, was to close all of the loopholes that were known.

mooney101

Mar 16, 2012
No root is the biggest disappointment about the vtab. It's also going to effect any future purchases of Vizio tablets. If I can't root a device I really don't want it. I paid for it so I should be able to do with what I want.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
No root is the biggest disappointment about the vtab. It's also going to effect any future purchases of Vizio tablets. If I can't root a device I really don't want it. I paid for it so I should be able to do with what I want.

Exactly my point. As some of you prob know I ditched my vizio vtab (rooted gingerbread) for a toshiba thrive (no root, ics update soon) I loved my vtab for the most part. But it took so long for them to get us honeycomb. I was kinda disappointed in vizio. Great tablet for $165 from the woot sale. When will these companies learn that they're driving their customer's away? Why do they care so much to block root? Its not like they have their own market we're trying to bypass and cutting into their profit margins. The whole open source thing is why we all like android so much. We're not sheeple eating the tainted apple.

Apple has been around since '07. They had a year or 2 in the market before android started popping up. Yes, android has been in existence since '03 but wasn't till the last 3 yrs or so since it's blown up. Only because android is open source we can thank the technology to grow so quick. My htc evo is almost 2yrs old, still using it too. Almost time for my upgrade, we're starting to see quad cores hit the market. Sad part is apple doesn't have to try to compete as much as a normal company would. Make little changes here and there, apple marketing and their following of sheep and they sell millions of the next icrap.

Plus the other thing that really gets me is why remove a feature thats really good and sets you apart? One of the major reasons i got the thrive is b/c of the full size ports and user changeable battery. Their new tablet went back to micro ports, gay! The specs aren't that great, still a dual core and don't really care bout it being super thin. I like the harware just as much as the next guy prob even more. I thought the idea of a business is to make as much money as possible. Why would I buy their new one with similar specs and can't change the battery? They release a quad core with full size ports that doesn't have the probs like the first run of the transformer prime and I would be first in line to throw out the cash.

Hopefully vizio doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with their new 10" coming out. I'm sure it will be gingerbread at least upgradable to ics if it doesn't ship with ics. But don't butcher the remote app and ir this time. Are you listening vizio? They would make a lot of money if they made a bullet proof remote app with ir learning and macros. Hell, through in rf while there at it. I've worked in the telecommunications field for years and it would sell like crazy. Logitech, sony and few others charge crazy money for multimedia remotes. A tablet with those features plus the standard android uses and they'd put a huge dent in logitech's pocket.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

I think you're kidding yourself if you believe the lack of root has a significant impact on future purchases. Perhaps among the crowd that hangs out in a forum like this root is an issue. As for the vast majority of buyers that saw a ~$200 ipad-like thingee in Walmart or Costco, and thought it was cool, they wouldn't know "root" even means.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That may be true about root but I totally agree with the remote statement. A couple of tablets have IR blasters but nobody has a killer remote feature. In fact Apple has better remote apps even though you have to add an IR dongle on to use them. Vizio is a tv company and could knock this out of the park. Not only the ultimate tv accessory but gets their foot in the tablet world. Do what you know and build from there.

The two most successful Android tablets to date are by book companies! Amazon and B&N both put out decent tablets at good prices focusing on what they know. In the case of the Nook Color it was certainly helped in sales by the ability to root it but the bottom line is B&N put out a great tablet for what it was. They didn't try to make an iPad but they did make the best LCD reader come tablet out there. So much so that Amazon noticed and followed suit.

Vizio, stick to what you know. The hardware itself is fine, as would be expected from a tv manufacturer. Just put basic Android on there without getting all fancy. Make a great remote app. Build in the ability to share files through your tv's and not only act as a standard remote but essentially as a touch pad for the tv as well so that you can navigate interactive features on the tv. Focus on the tv integration with decent hardware at a decent price and otherwise stock Android with timely updates and you will have a winner and create a new market for tablets where they are currently not being used. From there you can branch out into the mainstream tablet market if that is where you want to go.

Remember when they used to include a media player with the purchase of a PC? How about a tablet remote at a discounted price? Get people using your product and they may just buy them for regular tablets too.

Last edited:

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
Given that we can't root under Honeycomb yet, and therefore can't use Titanium Backup, what do you experts think is the best app or strategy for backing up the VTAB?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Given that we can't root under Honeycomb yet, and therefore can't use Titanium Backup, what do you experts think is the best app or strategy for backing up the VTAB?

In theory since you now have the ability to put apps on an sd card you can basically make a copy of the files on that card and save it on your pc. If anything happens to the tablet where you need to do a factory reset, the apps and data on the SD card will still be ok. If something happens to the SD card you have a pc copy. However it won't be the same as having a TB and a script that does everything automatically. You will probably still have to do a lot manually.

Edit: Also, not sure but is there a backup someplace in the settings? Maybe Vizio included something like this if you are lucky.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That may be true about root but I totally agree with the remote statement. A couple of tablets have IR blasters but nobody has a killer remote feature. In fact Apple has better remote apps even though you have to add an IR dongle on to use them. Vizio is a tv company and could knock this out of the park. Not only the ultimate tv accessory but gets their foot in the tablet world. Do what you know and build from there.

The two most successful Android tablets to date are by book companies! Amazon and B&N both put out decent tablets at good prices focusing on what they know. In the case of the Nook Color it was certainly helped in sales by the ability to root it but the bottom line is B&N put out a great tablet for what it was. They didn't try to make an iPad but they did make the best LCD reader come tablet out there. So much so that Amazon noticed and followed suit.

Vizio, stick to what you know. The hardware itself is fine, as would be expected from a tv manufacturer. Just put basic Android on there without getting all fancy. Make a great remote app. Build in the ability to share files through your tv's and not only act as a standard remote but essentially as a touch pad for the tv as well so that you can navigate interactive features on the tv. Focus on the tv integration with decent hardware at a decent price and otherwise stock Android with timely updates and you will have a winner and create a new market for tablets where they are currently not being used. From there you can branch out into the mainstream tablet market if that is where you want to go.

Remember when they used to include a media player with the purchase of a PC? How about a tablet remote at a discounted price? Get people using your product and they may just buy them for regular tablets too.

Well, to add on to this, I knew Samsung had an IR blaster and I thought a basic remote like Vizio. It turns out it is much more advanced than I thought. Vizio, if you want to get in this game you better do it soon otherwise Samsung is going to own the overall tablet space and the remote/integrated tv tablet space.

Samsung Smart TV live streaming to Galaxy Tab hands-on [Video] - SlashGear

$samsung_smart_tv_streaming_ifa_2011_1.jpg