Rooting your 1.2-4349 tap-n-tap Gtab

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Mike, are you on Flashback? I haven't tried 7.2, but on 7.1 if you long-press the physical (not soft) search button, it brings up the option to toggle the notification bar off/on. See if it works...it's a nice feature when watching videos.

Also: Dave has a different set of recommendations, but I've had great luck with Moboplayer (you have to install also install their codec) and putting it in software decoding by default. Pretty much flawless playback of all my videos.

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah I know what you mean about DKS. :) FWIW I'm 44 and people call me "Mister" and "Sir" and I hate it. I want to get carded again when I buy alcohol. I want to speak lol-speak and not make people point and laugh at me. I want my 23-year-old body back. Where are my abs???

Excellent pointer dealing with reinstalling apps. I SWORE I'd buy the pro copy of TiB, but haven't done it yet. One question: why do you think it takes so long to reinstall?...it seems to lag between each app, as if it's taunting you, "If you'd bought the paid version, you could select 'reinstall all' and this would go much faster!" Is it just my imagination? It takes me an hour to reinstall 40 apps...

-Matt

Mike, are you on Flashback? I haven't tried 7.2, but on 7.1 if you long-press the physical (not soft) search button, it brings up the option to toggle the notification bar off/on. See if it works...it's a nice feature when watching videos.

Also: Dave has a different set of recommendations, but I've had great luck with Moboplayer (you have to install also install their codec) and putting it in software decoding by default. Pretty much flawless playback of all my videos.

-Matt

Lol... yes, I'm on 7.2... the UI is a little daunting to someone that has never used HC (me). It took me a good 20 minutes to learn to change the wallpaper.

I refuse to buy Ti Pro. I do understand about the app restore thing. It is a real pain.

I have the notifications setup on Tapatalk, but i think there are flaws in the programming.

I noticed the sound has been really good between the 2 ROMs I've used. That is a great plus as compared to my previous tablet. I'll have to check out that feature... battery is kinda quick to drop, but I think I read something about that on here.

sent from my FlashBack 7.2 Gtablet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello Matt, you won't miss anything on 7.2; I found that 7.1 is a bit faster on some scores and the actual performance between the two is not distinguishable. Haven't seen you at all yesterday and I thought that you may have been in problem with your better half on account at looking at other tablets :)

I wouldn't bother with TI Pro either. The ability to 'back-up all' either could get us in trouble with apps compatibility or we restore some that we never would use again. For people who flash new rom every other day, may be. New apps are released everyday. What is good today will be replaced with something better tomorrow. Therefore, Dropbox is a real good friend.

Sharpe, if you are interested in battery drain, how about give us some statistic on it after you use the new rom for a while. What I mean is that if you can. If you encounter sleep of death, I have some test if you want to try. Matt already talked about app installation.

The three (most talked about) topics are battery, sod, and app installation. Let's see if you run into any of them.

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Hello Matt, you won't miss anything on 7.2; I found that 7.1 is a bit faster on some scores and the actual performance between the two is not distinguishable. Haven't seen you at all yesterday and I thought that you may have been in problem with your better half on account at looking at other tablets :)

I wouldn't bother with TI Pro either. The ability to 'back-up all' either could get us in trouble with apps compatibility or we restore some that we never would use again. For people who flash new rom every other day, may be. New apps are released everyday. What is good today will be replaced with something better tomorrow. Therefore, Dropbox is a real good friend.

Sharpe, if you are interested in battery drain, how about give us some statistic on it after you use the new rom for a while. What I mean is that if you can. If you encounter sleep of death, I have some test if you want to try. Matt already talked about app installation.

The three (most talked about) topics are battery, sod, and app installation. Let's see if you run into any of them.

Dave,

I already did.
Battery isn't fantastic. Mind you, I've been on it nonstop since install this morning.
App install. A few apps from amazon app store don't fire up. Tells me "app not installed". These are HD apps that I think need a hardware accelerator.
SOD, hell no, won't let it happen. You are referring to the battery draining too far down and killing the tablet correct? If not, then clue me in.
Why are "we" getting SOD anyway. I thought HC ROMs were more stable than that.

*edit* Usage statstics currently:
Mobile Network signal (why is this even on the list)
Wifi
Awake
Screen on

Keep in mind that I dont let the tablet "sleep". Screen off is set to "never"- this is supposed to prevent sleep mode (I hope). I cannot tell you how pissed I will be if this ROM craps out my new tablet. It makes me upset just thinking about it.
No percentages as of yet, but I think its still gathering data. Need a day or to to process fully.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
. . . A few apps from amazon app store don't fire up. Tells me "app not installed". These are HD apps that I think need a hardware accelerator.
SOD, hell no, won't let it happen. You are referring to the battery draining too far down and killing the tablet correct? If not, then clue me in.
Why are "we" getting SOD anyway. I thought HC ROMs were more stable than that.. . .

First, let's move this discussion to flashback thread.
For apps that "app not installed". After the installation, go to settings and "move it to tablet".
SOD = Sleep of death. Tablet went to sleep and wont wake up, need a reboot. I have none of this, but many talked about it.

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
First, let's move this discussion to flashback thread.
For apps that "app not installed". After the installation, go to settings and "move it to tablet".
SOD = Sleep of death. Tablet went to sleep and wont wake up, need a reboot. I have none of this, but many talked about it.

Dave,

MOVED to flasback thread....

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
This root method also works on all stock ROMs.

sent from my Stockish 5274 running Clemsyn kernal Gtablet using Tapatalk

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Revised method to root and install Market on 1.2 STOCK Tap n Tap ROMs.

** confirmed on 4349, 4950, 5274 ROMs. **

See TOP of edit....

sent from my Century Eyes Gtablet using Tapatalk