Router

justdon

Jan 14, 2012
Iam new here not a tech savy person. Last week i bought a coby kyros7012 tablet.A friend gave me a linksys wireless g router and said i could use it to get the internet i installed it and when i finished it said the router was operating.But i had no internet connection.My question is since i cannot get on the internet with the router is there something like an external antena that i can plug into the tablet to get internet.I intend to give the router back to my friend.Because its a waste of time if it does nothing.Never had a router before and don't think i will ever use one again.My lap top worked fine without a router.Iam sorry if i posted this in the wrong place .All i want to do is just get on the internet with the tablet..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi justdon, do you have internet service in general? You must have the internet through a provider like a cable company or phone company for the router to provide an internet connection. It sounds like might if you have a laptop with an internet connection. In which case it is just a matter of setting up the router correctly.

A router is going to be the best way for most people to connect to the internet since the other option is to get wireless data (through a cell phone provider) which is much more expensive. It is possible but it depends on what you want to do with your tablet.

justdon

Jan 14, 2012
I have internet service thru a phone company..In fact i ahve had this service for 3 years i have the router hooked up to the modem.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Then it should just be a matter of hooking up the router correctly. You should have an ethernet cable coming out of the modem that you plug your laptop into to get internet. This cable should now go to the router input. You can run a second cable from the router output to a pc or the laptop if you still want a hardwire connection. Next you should follow the instructions for setting up your particular router according to the manual.

This usually involves setting the name of the network (SSID) and choosing a security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and a password. Once you have the router setup the tablet and laptop (if it has a wireless card) should see the network. Choose to connect to it, enter your password and then you should have wireless internet.

justdon

Jan 14, 2012
Iam sorry maybe i stated it wrong i have never hooked my laptop into the modem i use wifi for internet.I guess i live in an area where i can always get wifi.I have the modem hooked up to the router and the other cable hooked up to my desktop. And my desktop is fine.I have gone back into the software for the router and tried to install it again and again.Sometimes it will just say i don't have a wireless connection.And i followed the instructions exactly as it says..In other words i use wifi for my laptop..

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You are making simple things complicated...

So you didn't have a wireless (wifi) router before, just the modem connected to your desktop, right? If you had wifi than you don't need anything else to use your tablet, just use the tablet to connect to your wifi network.

If you didn't, does your desktop have wifi too? If yes, it will connect to the router using it, otherwise you will need an ethernet cable (common network cable, RJ45 connector).

You need this setup: modem -> router -> (tablet + other computers).

So turn off your modem, connect your router to it, connect your computer to the router and set it up. You will need to configure the connection on the router, or you may need to first change your wifi router IP settings if your modem is also a (wired) router (you will know that you have to if you cannot connect to the wifi router at all, because its IP is conflicting with the wired router/modem).

If you don't understand this or think you cannot do it, then I suggest that you call a professional.

Last edited:

justdon

Jan 14, 2012
Finally today iam up and running.I have to say my little kyros7012 is a nice little tablet.I have been watching youtube videos for hours today.