[Rumor] Amazon Android Tablet Shipping Later This Year; Amazon Orders Components

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
amazon-tablet-android-samsung.jpg

Some industry rumors are floating around about the possible Amazon Android Tablet, that we hinted at earlier. Supposedly, Amazon has made an order from Quanta for a large amount of tablet PC's, that will be utilizing Fringe Field Switching (FFS) technology touch panels from E Ink Holdings (EIH). This is the same company behind the amazing displays that are currently in the Kindle from Amazon.

The DigiTimes article that was the original source of this rumor also had this to say,
The device's monthly orders during the peak season are expected to reach about 700,000-800,000 units and Quanta is expected to start shipping as soon as the second half of 2011 with the orders to contribute more than NT$100 billion (US$3.5 billion) to Quanta's annual revenues in 2011, the sources noted. In response to the report, Quanta declined to comment on its clients.
If they hit those numbers, the second half of this year could be when Amazon with the help of Android, starts to put real pressure on the iPad. It'll be a fun ride to witness.

Source: Engadget and DigiTimes

Last edited:

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I would buy that just to say that I have one. I really like the e-ink display or whatever they are calling it.