[Rumor] Google May Also be Developing a 10-Inch Tablet; Nexus 10 Anyone?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
google-nexus-10-tablet-front-content-mockup.jpeg
google-nexus-7-tablet-front-content.jpeg

There is some new "rumint" floating down from the ether of the internet that Google may be looking at making a 10-Inch tablet in the future too. DigiTimes recently reported that Google is already prepping a Nexus 10 (although that name is only speculation), and that Google's channel partners, Wintek and AU Optronics, will supply the display panels. These panels will supposedly be made of the same OGS (One Glass Solution) material that is in the brand new Nexus 7 tablet. Here's a quote with some details,

Google also reportedly plans to launch a 10-inch tablet with touch panels to come from AU Optronics (AUO) and Wintek, making Wintek the largest touch panel supplier for Google, said the sources.

Wintek has been shipping OGS touch panels to a number of clients, and expects OGS to become mainstream in 2013, said company chairman Hyley Huang, estimating that 26.5 million notebooks are expected to adopt touch panels in 2013.

Although, these are the same manufacturers that are making the display for the brand new Nexus 7 tablet, just about anything quoted from DigiTimes should be taken with a cube of salt. These reports could simply be "wishful thinking" on the part of the manufacturers. In fact, comments from Patrick Brady, Director of Android Partner Engineering for Google, suggest that Google has no plans to move in that direction. Brady said, "We thought a lot about how we'd design the software and hardware to fit a number of use cases. For instance, I think 10-inch tablets are too big for gaming and reading books. We wanted it to be portable. And we wanted it to be great for reading books and magazines as well as playing games and watching movies."

Of course, if the Nexus 7 is a huge hit, as many market analysts are predicting, then Google may shift gears and try to compete more directly against the iPad. If they can get enough brand-trust built up, they may be able to start eroding Apple's strangle-hold on the tablet market. After-all, consumers can be fickle.

Thanks for the tip, nikecar and cereal killer!

Source: NexusTablets.net via CNet

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I remember when the kindle For was announced there was speculation of a 10" model to closely follow the release of the 7 inch model but so far nothing has materialized. Amazon may eventually release a larger screen model, and I would love to see Google do the same.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
The Nexus 7 is the best deal in that size category; a 10" model would be another great hit, would love one at that size.

I use my 9.7" tablet for ebook reading, and find the screen size closely approximates the hardcover paper books that I usually read. 7" readers, haven't used them yet, but imo there's nothing wrong with the bigger screen for reading or any other uses.

Just heavier than the 7" ones, but for my eyes, worth it. :)

Ermintrude

Jun 13, 2012
Android needs a 10 inch competitor to the IPAD. The longer it takes the more customers they will lose to Apple. And once a customer commits to an ecosystem they will often not want to change / learn a new ecosystem.

I am an Android user that wants to stay on the Android ecosystem but I am getting fed up waiting for an Android tablet that can compete with the IPAD.

The ACER A700 is losing marks for size, build and screen. The Asus tablet looks nicer but in Australia we have been told they will only be offering one $900 configuration when I can pickup an IPAD in the config I want for $600.

In Australia the IPAD still looks like the best option based on screen, build and price.

We need a Nexus 10 !!!!!!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Bigger screen = greater battery drain.

That's true, no doubt. Bigger battery pack, although that's added weight. :p

Different customers looking for the 7" or 10" models possibly. I considered buying the RIM Playbook at Chistmas last year, saw it in the store (when they finally had stock on hand) but ended up picking a 9.7" model, the Le Pan 1, for its larger screen. (it's got an excellent 6800 mAh battery too)

The CNET article that dgstorm linked to in his post is a good read. A high placed Google executive is quoted :

Comments made by Patrick Brady, director of Android partner engineering for Google, seem to discount the possibility of a 10-inch tablet. In an interview with CNET's Maggie Reardon, Brady said Google specifically chose the 7-inch size for its portability.

"We thought a lot about how we'd design the software and hardware to fit a number of use cases," Brady said. "For instance, I think 10-inch tablets are too big for gaming and reading books. We wanted it to be portable. And we wanted it to be great for reading books and magazines as well as playing games and watching movies."
Of course, should the Nexus 7 take off in the marketplace, Google may decide that a 10-inch version could appeal to consumers as well. But for now, we'll have to see if the 7-inch model makes as big a splash in the Android tablet arena as some are predicting.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm sure it is in the eventual plans but like Amazon don't expect to see it anytime soon. Think about it, they would totally be shooting themselves in the foot if they announced a 10" now. How much might that eat into the hype and sales of the 7"? I think a much better idea would be to push the Nexus 7 for a full year or so then build on the success of that to hype a Nexus 10 about 18 months or so from now, just in time for the holidays.