(Rumor) Skip Froyo...Go Directly to Gingerbread?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Let me stir the pot here and share an interesting rumor: word "on the street" is that the Cyanogen team is working on a Gingerbread version of the Cyanogen Mod (CM7) for the Nook color:

Nook Color rooted (Hypothetical question) - CyanogenMod Forum

Thedood and Attn1 have both picked one up; along with Fattire and others, they are working on CM7 (actually have it booted and running).

Stay tuned
And if that's not enough to stir your imagination, a devoted fan has already made a teaser video. Note that he's NOT on the CM project and it's just a concept video. But oh what a concept.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Not rumor. It's awesome to see the Cyanogenmod team on the case; won't be long now.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Great news! Great news! Cyanogenmod has a lot to offer. Can't wait.

Kazy

Jan 17, 2011
Oh hey, that's my video. I mainly did it to show off the boot animation I made for it. Probably won't be included with the official ROM, but you can find it now here.

I'm not part of the team but I do have eyes on IRC room. Last I heard of progress:
(02:34:50) FatTire: no... big challenges are:
(02:34:53) FatTire: 1. sound -- being worked on
(02:35:00) FatTire: 2. accelerometer -- cicada's baby
(02:35:14) FatTire: 3. the build -- I'm finishing it up... so that otas work
(02:35:19) FatTire: 4. performance
(02:35:27) FatTire: 5. sleep of death... suspend doesn't come back up

So while there is progress, there is still a lot of work left.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Oh hey, that's my video. I mainly did it to show off the boot animation I made for it.
Are you SERIOUS?!??!!! What a coincidence. :) Well, remind us when it's time, and we'll make sure users here have a chance to use the animation if they want! You have some serious skillz! (Just added the z cuz it looked...more convincing!)

How cool.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nice video Kazy. All new android OS implementations to a new device start out with not much working and slowly get revised to greatness. :)

bL33d

Dec 3, 2010
Sweet just ordered a nook color and hope this comes out soon! Flash support will be nice.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I just reread the thread I posted in the OP (Nook Color - CyanogenMod Forum), wondering if there was any CM7 news or updates. Doesn't look like there's anything major to announce. What is happening, though, is that several users have chimed in saying very encouraging things about the Nook (price, performance, "modability", etc.). Really makes me feel like a happy owner. I'm glad word is spreading.

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just an update. I saw on twitter that cvpcs who is a dev working for cyanogen now is helping with development for cm7 for the nook color. He is the very talented dev that created the gem series of roms and that now is on the cm7 team.

Also another group of developers called team phoenix is taking on making a rom for the nook color. They are a newly formed team that is building off of cvpcs work from the gem series.

So if anyone is familiar with these developers you will know that this is good news! If you are not familiar with them just know that roms could be closer than we think!

Note: If anyone is new to android just ask and i will explain the whole rom deal.

sent from my rooted nook color