Running Android in "Kiosk Mode"

softlad

May 26, 2011
I'm trying to understand how to hack Android Tablets so that they can run in "Kiosk Mode" i.e. boot into a custom launcher/home screen that allows users to run only those apps I allow and which prevents users for getting to the android market and system settings.

The objective is to develop a single-purpose field application for hospital workers.
Can't find a definitive answer in books or online. Wondering if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance!

morrighu

Jun 3, 2011
This is exactly what I suspected. You would need to build a custom firmware and flash it to the device in order to have an effective Kiosk mode. Android as a platform, isn't meant for that sort of thing. It's really built, from the ground up, to interact with the user. You can try to do some things that would leave them with a lock pattern, however, you might be better off running a regular Linux device for that. If you install a customized Linux, you can lock it down to just the apps that you want them to have more easily that Android, which is Linux, but very highly modified.

And quite frankly, if you're putting out to "field workers" you might want to consider running it on a ruggedized platform. Both Toshiba and GD make ruggedized tablet PC's for this. And there are probably others, but those are the only two I know of.

ncacace

Jan 8, 2012
Did you have any luck with your request? I found various apps that allow you to lock your device however I think that they specifically target the devices browser rather than individual apps.

I saw an aluminum case for the iPad that covers the 'home' button. This would leave me to believe that perhaps a software solution will not be easy to find maybe even impossible. However if you can make an app that confines public users to the browser then maybe you can do the same thing for any app you choose to specify.

Kind regards,
Nicolas