S7 Charger Alternatives

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
I think all the users should send emails to Huawei and let them know we want chargers, accesories and 2.2 now.

Can't hurt to try, I did it this morning.

sarcasm

Dec 31, 2010
3.2 mm required for the tip, and no it cannot be charged via USB. I know I will have peope that are going to argue this. Technically possible, but due to physics and configuration not a viable solution.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

This is not only an issue of physics, it's one of USB load capacity. Most techies know that there are two considerations for power supplies -- (1) voltage and (2) current. The voltage for almost all USB ports is 5V -- which is spot on with what the S7 requires. The limitation is in the fact that USB ports are generally configured to regulate the current that can be safely pushed to the device. Most will do .5 amps, which again, is more than enough for devices that operate in the "milliamp" range (useless fact: There are 1000 milliamps in 1 amp) -- such as external HDDs, phones, etc. However, the S7 requires 2.5 AMPS (which is roughly 5 times the load capacity of an iPhone). So, as Peter pointed out, it could probably be done (technically possible) it would be more trouble than it's worth. You may not be pushing enough current to keep the S7 in a charging state...in short -- you may lose charge while attempting to charge.

tinki

Jan 1, 2011
Does any of the ac to dc chargers suggestions work for the S7? The charger that came with the device works great but because of the short lived battery and having to plug it up to have longer use, the charger suck when reading a book in landscape mode and wanting to use the chair arm as a rest instead of constantly holding the device up because of the straight tip on it. It needs an angle tip preferable one that is more flushed with the device instead of a thick angle. Do the suggested chargers have angle tips? any help would be appreciated.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Angled tips (3.2mm) are available from Radio Shack. They are designated a "G" tip if my memory serves me well. They also have the power supply but it's pricy! Car chargers can be had from Target. Look for the pack for Magellan GPS devices with the 3.2 tip. They are rated at 2Ah.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

kathyrbl

Jan 5, 2011
I found the Gigaware Universal GPS Vehicle Charger works. There are a set of different tips for it that make it quite useful for various devices. I found it at radio shack, the model number is 20-449.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
The limitation is in the fact that USB ports are generally configured to regulate the current that can be safely pushed to the device. =.
Just to clarify
Current isn't pushed to the device by the ports rather the device draws the current that it can from them. The status of the device dictates the current depending on what it requires at a particular moment. Voltage is regulated and should be constant within design parameters.
You can't in practice loose charge when charging all that happens is that the device draws more current than the charge circuit can provide and so depletes it's battery instead which is a very bad thing to do.
Plus you run a great risk of overheating everything.

Last edited:

fsramosS7

Jan 6, 2011
I found the Powerline car charger at Walmart for about $15.00. The charger has different voltages that goes from 3 to 12v. Based on the battery capacity, it should be fine to set it at 4.5v, actually the S7 battery says that the voltage will be capped at 4.2v for proper recharge. I think i will try to see if it works, any feedback regarding this charger , good or bad experiences ..? Please reply. Thanks.

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
Im not sure if this has the USB to 3.2mm plug
Where can I find one that will ship overseas?(New Zealand) ...Please let me know
I was amazed that without the S7 battery in the Huawei s7, It still powers on and works with the mains charger.....
This outputs at 5v too!! so untill we get reasonably priced replacement batteries, Im looking to save my official battery :)

5V 5600mAh and 12V 2000mAh Dual-purpose Rechargeable Li-batte...USD 44.98/Piece Wholesale Price at **********

Just edit , this one says it outputs @ 2amps http://www.truegadgets.com/iphone/s...iphone-4-3g-3gs-ipod-flip-vado-hd-camcorders/

Here it is on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Satechi-iCel-48...458025798?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item564104df46

Last edited:

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
This should be helpful for those members of the forum who do not reside in the USA and Canada

No store in my country had the USB cable to 3.2mm plug adapter..... 3.5mm is all they could find(Grrr)...so...been searching the whole day and found this by looking at the compatility list for tip 5 http://www.bracketron.com/media/products/pdf/UGC-100-BL.pdf did a model search and found this by searching by model number and looking at pictures.

Tip (#5) 3.2mm Out. 0.9mm In. Diameter Connector:
Magellan RoadMate 800/860T/2000/2200T/
2250T/3000T/3050T/6000T,

Maestro 3100/3140/4010/4040/4050

Found this site http://www.gomadic.com/

Searched for the below model
Roadmate 800

And then ...I ordered this Oh and very reasonable Postage to New Zealand, Tip 71 is the correct charger 3.2mm
Coiled USB Cable for the Magellan Roadmate 800 with Power Hot Sync and Charge capabilities - uses Gomadic TipExchange Technology

GoMadic came today Very good quality, It works very well, I plugged this into my computer's usb, charges...I then took out the battery, the S7 turns on, I was able to play a movie and have wifi and bluetooth on without the S7 turning off

Last edited:

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
Depending on your country, you will need a plug adapter but at least it's multi voltaged

Magellan ROADMATE 2000 2200 860 AC Wall Charger Adapter - eBay (item 220348336470 end time Jan-10-11 10:48:02 PST)

Magellan ROADMATE 3000 3050 6000 T WALL Charger Adapter - eBay (item 320334107181 end time Jan-10-11 10:48:02 PST)

edit this came in the post, It is 5v but only rated 800ma ...not enough power to have the S7 on without the battery in it :-( not charging the S7 unless you turn off your S7 Completly....then charging slowly
Im still going to keep the charger....maybe going to canabalise and cut and solder this onto a wall charger that is rated 2amps

Last edited:

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I found the Powerline car charger at Walmart for about $15.00. The charger has different voltages that goes from 3 to 12v. Based on the battery capacity, it should be fine to set it at 4.5v, actually the S7 battery says that the voltage will be capped at 4.2v for proper recharge. I think i will try to see if it works, any feedback regarding this charger , good or bad experiences ..? Please reply. Thanks.
Is this the one
Power Line 0900-21 2000mA Car Cord Adapter
:eek::eek::eek: