S7 Charger Alternatives

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
What is the Duracell rated? 5V/2A? or?

Is the charging time the same as the original power adapter?

Are you able to power the device on while charging?

Thanks!

efidol

Dec 30, 2010
Yes it charges while in use... Seems to charge a lil bit slower than the oem charger but i mainly wanted something to sustain my existing charge in the car so i am pleased... Now i just gotta get a mount (dash/vent)

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
efidol,

I too have the Duracell 3-in-1 and use it in the car. Like the flexibility of having the detachable USB cable that can be plugged into any USB power source. When we first posted about it on this forum it was only available at Staples. Glad its now available elsewhere and at about $10 less!

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
Oh and for those outsidde the USA/Canada I believe that the mains power is 110v not muti voltage up to 240v for the Duracell 3 in 1

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I found a universal 2 in 1 charger in walmart. It's voltage was adjustable- your choice was 4.5 volts or 6 volts with 2000 mAmp. Does anyone know if this can used with our required 5 volts? They had a 2 in 1 (wall or car) with no tips or just a car charger with 5 or 6 tips.(I don't know if they had the required tip- wasn't listed as sizes)

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I bought a Dick Smith 5v charger with many tips (none of them worked). I plan to splice the tip that I have from the car charger that I bought with the mobility pack. Noone seems to have the required 2.5mm tips.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I went to RadioShack, got the Adaptaplug G tip ($7) and the adaptaplug replacement socket ($4). Cut the end off of one of many old mini usb cables (had a whole bunch, seems like half the things I buy have one of those). Soldered the replacement socket onto the end, and presto, a cable that will charge the S7 from any usb port.

I have a couple wall chargers and car chargers that have a usb plug on them. Quick testing indicates a 500ma wall charger will charge the S7 (albeit slowly) if asleep. A 1000ma car charger (over a short trip) is enough to keep up (charge level stays same) with using Google Navigation on mid brightness (no data connection).

vulcan

Jan 19, 2011
I received this today: Coiled USB Cable for the Magellan Roadmate 800 with Power Hot Sync and Charge capabilities - uses Gomadic TipExchange Technology (part code SCC-1898-21 ).

1 week to arrive in NZ from the USA on standard USPS int'l shipping. It works, ran it for ~1 hour and it gave me 33% charge (ie 3 hours for a full charge off a standard USB port, device was powered down). Tip is a snug fit. Haven't tested it with the device powered on/charging vs time, but it does gain charge in this state.

I would guess this means their Magellan 800 wall chargers/car chargers are good for the S7 as well.

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
I received this today: Coiled USB Cable for the Magellan Roadmate 800 with Power Hot Sync and Charge capabilities - uses Gomadic TipExchange Technology (part code SCC-1898-21 ).

1 week to arrive in NZ from the USA on standard USPS int'l shipping. It works, ran it for ~1 hour and it gave me 33% charge (ie 3 hours for a full charge off a standard USB port, device was powered down). Tip is a snug fit. Haven't tested it with the device powered on/charging vs time, but it does gain charge in this state.

I would guess this means their Magellan 800 wall chargers/car chargers are good for the S7 as well.

Im really happy with mine as well.... if you see my other posts - I just got in the mail the Arctic C2 which will output 2amps !!
I have been able to plug the Gomadic cable into my USB for my HP computer and the S7 runs quite happily

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
so we have confirmed usb charging and mount capabilities with this one cord?

Just to clarify - I believe they are charging only from a USB source (i.e., PC) to the power input of the S7 - there is no evidence that the S7 can be charged via its native USB port and no discussion of mounting or data transfer in the above descriptions (i.e., what most people would consider the term "usb charging" to mean). OP's (vulcan, lopeti1) correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
Just to clarify - I believe they are charging only from a USB source (i.e., PC) to the power input of the S7 - there is no evidence that the S7 can be charged via its native USB port and no discussion of mounting or data transfer in the above descriptions (i.e., what most people would consider the term "usb charging" to mean). OP's (vulcan, lopeti1) correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry, yes that is correct...from USB to Power input ...not the usb port of the S7

This Gomedic cable is solidly build with a thicker/sturdier cable ...now really giving options where to charge my S7

vulcan

Jan 19, 2011
As above, it's a cable that goes from a USB port to my AC adapter in (3mm) on the S7. But it does open up charging possibilities to using car usb and wall usb chargers.

efidol

Dec 30, 2010
The duracell charger i got crapped out after 6 days... P.O.S. smh

Sent from my Huawei Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App