S7 Charger Alternatives

Jan 26, 2011
I just purchased the Bracketron Universal GPS Charger. Bracketron Universal GPS Car Charger - eBay (item 190489706604 end time Feb-10-11 13:41:45 PST)
It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. This seller has reduced shipping when you buy more than one, so I bought 2. One for the car, one for my boat. The unit ships with 4 adapters: P1=Mini USB (which does *not* fit into the S7 USB port); P2=Garmin DC; P3=3.2 mm (fits the S7 like a glove); P4=4mm DC for TomTom devices.

I used it briefly yesterday and it powered my in-use S7. Two oddities to note. First, the Bracketron website describes this device as powering up to 5 volts and 2.0 amps, but the packaging says 5 volts and 1.5 amps. Second, the website says the P3 adapter is 3.5 mm when in fact what ships is the 3.2 mm connector which works with the S7. I will power the Bracketron up and test the output on a multimeter when I find the time.

What is up with the lousy/incomplete/incorrect documentation that comes out from so many companies???

annern

Jan 30, 2011
I received this charger in the mail today and it works Great, lists same specs as OEM charger and fits perfectly. Charged the S7 as appropriate. I saw Thanks to this seller!! Now if someone would just start selling the dock station and some other great accessories I would be Elated!!

annern

Jan 30, 2011
I found a charger for sale advertised for the S7 on Amazon and just ordered it.
Amazon.com: WALL home house charger AC adapter cable cord for HUAWEI IDEOS S7 tablet eBook reader: Electronics
I will post again once I receive it and verify that it works. The charger that came with the S7 bent within the first week and now is not working unless you get it positioned just right.

I received this charger in the mail today and it works Great, lists same specs as OEM charger and fits perfectly. Charged the S7 as appropriate. I saw Thanks to this seller!! Now if someone would just start selling the dock station and some other great accessories I would be Elated!!

noeldp

Feb 7, 2011
Very helpful summary of parts and sources, thank you! Also fyi there's a spare battery source on ebay, search for 'huawei s7 battery'

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I know that the Motorola plug will fit the Huawei S7. All you need then is a 12V power adapter that puts out 5V@ 2A. I can get a cheap Motorola phone plug thingy at the dollar store, and solder up the 12V adapter. My emergency L.E.D. lamp even has the extension with a Motorola plug, and I can charge the tab by cranking it for a while, but since I don't have many hurricanes in Ohio, so I'll just try it for fun sometime.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
This is weird...

While at the AT&T store to inquire about SIM cards and stuff, I asked the guy about a charger. He asked what phone it was, and I told him it should take a Motorola charger because the plug is the Motorola type. Then I was informed that I'll need a micro-USB charger because Motorola phones charge through the micro-USB port. A little arguing started, and finally I informed the sales guy that my device absolutely will NOT charge through the micro- USB port, "or it will get fried" which the guy accepted. Besides, I was leaving anyway.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
OK it's the older generation motorola plug, but, they are still in use!
If you find them get one to hack up and put a USB plug on the other end. Then a USB wall charger (at least 1mAh) will do for the S7, and other devices.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I hope you mean 1 Ah, or 1000 mAh, unless you intend to charge it really slow. I've already got a USB wall charger for my Palm and MP3 players, so that's cool.

But you be looking for a while to find one for use in a car. Are the USB cables easy to open up? I tried opening up one of those wires for the ear buds, and couldn't separate the two conductors.

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
OK it's the older generation motorola plug, but, they are still in use!
If you find them get one to hack up and put a USB plug on the other end. Then a USB charger
Is this what you had in mind?

2 Port (2A + 1A) USB Car Charger

It has a 2A port and a 1A port, so you could run your S7 and something else that's small. It's so cheap that it makes me wonder if you could really get that much out of it?

Last edited:

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
There was a mention that the higher rates port of these things is very cable dependant and needs a thicker diameter otherwise the resistance is too high and charging is slow.
I meant one of those or a wall charger. I have a Coby make with two ports.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
The wall USB charger I got is rated for 1000ma.

I haven't been able to find a tip to fit the S7 power jack yet, but Radio Shack has "Adaptaplugs" that have two pins you can solder wires to.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Success.

After cutting off the unwanted end of a spare USB printer cable, leaving the other, an A connector, on, a few inches of the plastic cover was stripped off the USB cable, and the woven metal shielding was removed, then the green & white data wires were cut off, leaving the black & red wires. I used the Adaptaplug size G (from Radio Shack) and soldered the black to the pin that goes to the barrel, and the red to the tip or center pin. Check which pin is for which first. Appropriate-sized heat-shrink tubing was used to insulate the pins on the plug, and over-sized tubing as a second layer to pretty things up for a more OEM look. (see photo)

I know I left out a piece of tubing to bridge the two ends, but since this is the first try, I think it went well. I visited a few local hotels & motels to see if they had an abandoned phone charger with the right connector, bud had no luck.

With the growing popularity of the S7 and other tablets, I think you'll probably see a manufactured car charger from Asia soon.

Attachments

• $Android car charger connector.jpg
    $Android car charger connector.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
The main problem with Powerline are the bad reviews of their products!
Check them out first.