S7 for UK£217 (US$347) or Samsung Galaxy Tab UK£318(US$508). Help please.

olewh

Jan 1, 2011
Shall I get a Huawei S7 for UK£217 (US$347) or a Samsung Galaxy Tab for UK£318 (US$508). Help me make my mind up please. I have to arrive at a decision in the next 8 hours! And I just cant decide.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Shall I get a Huawei S7 for UK£217 (US$347) or a Samsung Galaxy Tab for UK£318 (US$508). Help me make my mind up please. I have to arrive at a decision in the next 8 hours! And I just cant decide.

I depends on what your expectations are:

- Multimedia
- EMail
- Playing
- eReading
- Surfing the Web
- 3G service in your area

Personaly I just love S7 as it lets me read my word and excel documents, read eBooks, watch some AVI and MPG4 videos, play angry birds, sync my Gmail and Hotmail, listen to music, sync my Google Calendar.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I would say the biggest difference right now is that the Tab is on 2.2 and the S7 is on 2.1 for the time being. So until this changes the S7 can't play flash video on the internet. When I got my S7 this difference was not worth $300 to me. Hopefully the S7 will see 2.2 one way or the other.

So if watching flash videos are a big deal to you right now and the money is not I would go with the Tab. If not the S7 is a great device and doing everything I could have asked of it on 2.1. I am happy with getting the S7.

olewh

Jan 1, 2011
I depends on what your expectations are:
- Multimedia
- EMail
- Playing
- eReading
- Surfing the Web
- 3G service in your area
Personaly I just love S7 as it lets me read my word and excel documents, read eBooks, watch some AVI and MPG4 videos, play angry birds, sync my Gmail and Hotmail, listen to music, sync my Google Calendar.

These things you mention Sopranos, I would think the Galaxy does them as well, if not better than the Huawei S7. Three things put me off the s7 in comparison to the Galaxy - (1) Screen resolution is considerably inferior (2) Android 2.1, probably upgradeable to 2.2 in March, but beyond that??? (3) Internal storage (on the S7 103 UK version) is just 250 Mb, so a sizeable SDHC Card is essential and a significant extra cost. In addition, the Galaxy battery is better than the S7.

But there are three things which put me off the Galaxy - (1) It doesnt have a mini usb port, its using a special Samsung connection (2) it costs quite a bit more (the price ive quoted is with 20% cashback and there is some doubt that this will go thru). (3) The Galaxy screen is narrower than the S7 and I consider the S7 size preferable (particularly for surfing the web)

More comments appreciated.

and dont forget it is an unlocked phone!

Thanks for advice Buzzman. I think its quite easy to unlock the Galaxy

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Well...my whole point is that my S7 can do all that for $161 USD less...now, you have a point regarding inernal memory. I bought mine for $299 USD plus taxes in the US (BestBuy) and this version includes a 8GB internal memory (only 175MB for apps).

Which one to get? It all depends on what you need it for and how much cash you have on hand...best of the lucks...

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
If I were offered a free Galaxy right now in place of my S7 I'd say no thank you.
It's the most delightful device I have ever owned in spite of any shortcomings.
It has become indespensible and never leaves me wherever I go!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
If I were offered a free Galaxy right now in place of my S7 I'd say no thank you.
It's the most delightful device I have ever owned in spite of any shortcomings.
It has become indespensible and never leaves me wherever I go!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

I agree, just wish I could buy an extra battery to carry along with it.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
shanksv- you are correct, at least in the USA that feature (phone)has been disabled. There is a work around if you know how.

@olewh- it sounds like you know which one you want. Whichever one you get, enjoy and good luck!