Samsung announces Galaxy Round with flexible, curved display and Note 3 specs

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note/Tab' started by Spider, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Spider

Spider Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted/Flashed Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB Stock
    Summary: We read rumors that Samsung and LG were working on flexible smartphone displays and it seems Samsung is first out of the gate with the Galaxy Round launching in Korea.

[​IMG] By Matthew Miller for Smartphones and Cell Phones |October 9, 2013 -- 03:13 GMT (20:13 PDT)

Samsung makes Galaxy devices across the size and form factor spectrum and today announced the Galaxy Round smartphone with concave front display. It basically looks like a Note 3 that was put into a back pocket and sat on.

Galaxy Round

[​IMG]
    Galaxy Round: Samsung's curved screen Android smartphone (gallery)

We have seen smartphones in the past with convex curved glass panels, including the Galaxy Nexus, but this new display from Samsung is actually a flexible OLED model. LG is also working on a flexible OLED panel.

Looking at the specifications of the new Galaxy Round, we see it looks to be comparable to the new Note 3 with a 5.7 inch full HD Super AMOLED display, 3GB RAM, quad-core 2.3 GHz processor, 13 megapixel camera, and S Pen functionality.

The Galaxy Round is a few grams lighter, likely due to the 2,800 mAh battery rather than the 3,200 mAh one found in the Note 3.

I'm not quite sure why you would want a curved display, but it may make the phone feel a bit better when resting against your face. Then again, I usually use the speakerphone or a headset with my Note 3. Samsung may also be using it like the Gear, a first product to test out new technologies and functionality.

[​IMG]
    (Image: Samsung)

Samsung is taking the physical design of the Galaxy Round and adding software enhancements that include the ability to view information by tilting/rocking the device. You can even control music by pressing down on one side while it rests on a table. The rocking motion plays previous or next tracks.

Like many features of Samsung phones, these may be considered gimmicky. Then again, there is a wide range of user experiences and Samsung has been quite successful at targeting a broad market of Android users.

The Galaxy Round will initially be available in Luxury Brown in Korea with more colors and availability soon.

2. edap

edap Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A110
    Unfortunately, most of us might never have a chance to own this device in our country. Although, even if we did, I'm not sure that I would ever buy one of these. The idea of flexible displays under inflexible glass shaped in interesting ways doesn't really excite me.

3. Tom T

Tom T Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Hauwei S7
    And the apparent $1000 price tag doesn't help.

4. edap

edap Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A110
    Not a shabby price tag for a piece of gimmicky gadgetry, eh!