Samsung Debuts Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, with Dual-core, both Thinner than iPad2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
galaxytabthin.jpg

The live CTIA event kicked off this morning and Samsung showed off its new competition for the iPad2. They officially unveiled their Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets. As it turns out, not only are Samsung's tablets thinner than the iPad2, but they also are sporting dual-core processors to boot. They also have Honeycomb and an improved version of Samsung's TouchWiz UX. Several previewers are actually saying that the TouchWiz enhancements improve the experience with Honeycomb. Go figure...

The two tabs are just .33mm thick, compared to the iPad2 .34mm. Samsung confirmed there will be WiFi versions of both devices. We've even got some info on pricing and availability. The WiFi 10.1 will arrive June 8th. The 16GB version will cost you $499 and the 32GB $599. The 8.9 is $469 and $569 for 16GB and 32GB, respectively. No word yet on availability for the 8.9. Engadget has a slew of additional pics on these.

Source: Engadget

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
A tablet thinner than my credit card? Now THIS is what I've been waiting for!

All kidding aside though, the correct spec is 8.6mm, not .33mm. Gave me a good laugh though.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I would expect someone of Samsungs quality to make sure it has at least gorilla glass.

I can't wait for the new 10.1 but June...sigh