Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus OR Asus Eee Pad Transformer

chicka2425

Nov 29, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am hunting for a good tablet for a family Christmas present. My price limit is $400, which is fine since we do not want an ipad anyway, as we are an Android family! :)

I have narrowed it down to two tablets: The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus and the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. Both are $399 on Amazon. (I am limited to Amazon due to the gift cards given for the tablet being on Amazon)

Yes, there is a difference in screen size. However, my husband has stated that he likes both sizes, so size will not matter. It will be used mainly in the living room, to check scores, look up things on the internet, play a few games, and possibly for app development. However, it will most likely get more game use as time goes on, as I have done with my Android phone.

I like the ability to possibly upgrade to ICS, which is why the Galaxy Tab appeals to me, and its small size, and having 3.2 vs 3.0 of Honeycomb out of the box.
However, I love the dock station of the Asus as well, as my husband.

What we really need is something that will last us as long as possible and will be very reliable.

Right now I am leaning to the Samsung, but I would love opinions if you had a choice between the two, what one you would choose and why. It would really help me a lot.

Thank you! :)

tabadroid

Nov 29, 2011
go with asus with keyboard - same spec with samsung, but much more options; last week, best buy had sale for $ 249 on asus

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I recently got a Transformer, and a couple things - ICS will probaby hit the Transformer before the Galaxy Tab. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has only recently got a working 3.2.1 ugrade and the Transformer has had it for a while now. Either way ICS will be a go. The battery life of the Transformer seems to have a slight edge on the Galaxt Tab 7 plus. Another thing, web browsing is much more pleasurable on the larger screen, I have an original 7" Galaxy Tab (which I love) but although when I am out and about I prefer to carry this because of the size, when I am at home I find I almost always use the Transformer. As an aside my neighbor has an iPad2 and I much prefer the Transformer, but that has a lot to do with the more open environment of Android. Anyway hope this helps, the cool thing is they are both great devices so you probably can't make a wrong choice.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Another thing about the Transformer is that the keyboard also has a battery in it, so when you have it docked to the keyboard it almost doubles the battery life. Also, while it may be outside of your price range, the Transformer Prime will be coming out in about two weeks. It is the first quad-core tablet and will either come with Ice Cream Sandwich preloaded or it will be available soon after. The 16 GB model will go for $499 or $599 for the 32 GB. When the Transformer Prime comes out, you can expect to see the Transformer price to drop a bit more as well.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Actually the Prime will be 32gig - $499, 64gig - $599

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

chicka2425

Nov 29, 2011
I wish the Prime would have came out earlier for us who order for Christmas gifts and travel! But, with the dual core of the Transformer (non-prime) it should last us a good couple years or more, especially with the ICS upgrade that I am now told it is going to get! :)

That really helps with my decision. Now if only the thing on Amazon will solidify in price.. it started at 399 today, went up to 429, and is now down to 405.. heck, at that point, I might as well bump up to the 32 GB at the sturdy price point of 439.

Thanks everyone and please if you have more input, let me know, as I will either buy it tomorrow night or Friday morning.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Fwiw, I paid $399 for my 32gb model from best buy since they price matched the local micro-center

chicka2425

Nov 29, 2011
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all of your input.. I know it was all for the Transformer, but alas, I let my husband choose in the end, and he said he would rather have the newer Galaxy thats portable, but look at the Transformer in the future.. we went and found some demo models and the weight of the Transformer was what in the end killed it.

It was a tough choice for him, but I think our next full size tablet will definitely be the newer Transformer Prime! :)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Sure like to hear your experience with the new Samsung, I have an original and as soon as I'm able I want to get a more modern 7" tablet. The 7 plus is at the top of my list, and if it performs as well as I think it will it may seal the deal. I was hoping the 7.7 would hit at a relatively affordable price but I am having my doubts.

BillTheCat

Nov 13, 2011
Both are fine machines. Get the best for what you need.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

IamIsaid

Nov 27, 2011
IMHO, the Asus is '*IT*' ( almost ). I currently have one but I'm afraid it's going to be returned because pairing it up side to side with the Acer Iconia A500 it beats or equals the Iconia in almost every area except lacking any real USB support / ports.

I want the USB in / out and thus I have no choice but to keep my Iconia - I'm simply *not* paying $99 for a keyboard I personally do not need nor am I willing to pay $99 for. I didn't buy a tablet to be a faux netbook !!

Can't speak of the Samsung as have never used one, sorry. Can it equal the Transformer ?..... from what I've read, etc, it's at least lighter than the Asus if that's a concern.

Even if you don't care about USB ports then I still would go with the Transformer, it's a thing of beauty. But you simply need to try both out before purchase as those before have said. Go with what makes you happiest. I do think they both will !