samsung galaxy tab 10.1 screen issue

bobro

Jul 29, 2011
hi all,

i have a 2month old galaxy tab and its all fine except i have a weired mark on the screen...

it looks like an oil slick, cant really see it on the screen when the device is on unless the screen is black where it is.

it also changes shape if i press (even lightly) on the screen...

any ideas what this is and what i could do about it.

i havnt banged it or anything like that i look after my electronics better than i would a baby!

thanks
bobro

rickio

May 14, 2011
The part where you say it changes shape makes it sound like a defect. I would complain and get a new one. I also got a galaxy tab and dont see anything like that on my screen.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
What you have is actually called Newton's Rings, which were discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1717, and are caused by the interference and refraction of light between two surfaces. The cause in your tablet is there has been a separation between the Gorilla Glass and the actual LCD displays. this is a manufacturing defect and I would exchange the tablet.

This is a documented issue with the 7" Galaxys, and has been reported sporadically on the 10.1. You may want to see if it responds to heat, meaning is it worse when the tablet is warm and less when you have it cooled off?

Sowdawg10

Sep 19, 2011
I bought my 10.1 tab off amazon back in july. The first one i received had this same mark on the screen. I called amazon and immeidatley returned it. The second one i got came and it kept freezing and the screen kept getting all pixelated. So i returned that one. The third one i got came and it had the same oil slick problem as the first. I let it sit in my house for a day and it went away...however, whenever i take the tab in a bag and travel with it the mark comes back. Seems that it goes away if i lay it flat and let it sit in the air condition for ~24 hours. Pain in the butt. going to be calling Amazon/Samsung today. For $600 i expect to have a faultless tab...after 3 i am thinking hard about switching over to the motorola or the ipad2...........

angelinaS31

Sep 30, 2011
you should take your table to customer care, there would solution for it or just try to clean with cotton cloth or with some cleaner.

crossties

Oct 24, 2011
we started noticing the "oil slick" a month after our purchase. Now 8 weeks after purchase, it has doubled in size. (4" long, 1 1/2" wide). Best Buy, showing their incredible customer service policy, would not talk to us about the defect a month ago becuase we did not buy their Geek support or whatever it was called. So we have to contact Samsung, which I hav eyet to get around to. We noticed an issue with the screen freezing and overlapping web pages around the same time. This is the first time we purchased a first-generation product- probably won't do it again.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Again folks, this is actually a known issues with the Samsung tablet, and they are addressing it if you contact their customer service. you should be able to do this very easily if you have registered your tablets with Samsung Customer Service.