Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 vs Google Nexus 7

Keepitreal21

Oct 29, 2012
I'm new to the tablet world, and I would like to get a 7 inch tablet for Christmas. After a lot of research, I have it narrowed down to either the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 or the Nexus 7 & as I want to keep the price around 200 dollars. I am still unsure, The Nexus is superior in technology and performance but the memory is not expandable, many apps are not compatible, it does not support flash, and it seems that they are having issues of breaking. With the Tab 2 the tech is older so its rougher and slower, but has expandable memory, supports flash, and doesnt seem to come with as many potential problems. So yeah I am really not sure. What do you guys think?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Generally speaking you should go with a newer tablet over an older one. Flash is an ongoing issue and getting an older tablet doesn't mean you will always have Flash that works (you have to be very careful of updates in that case). External storage can be an issue but unless you are adverse to using cloud storage options and really think you need the physical option I don't think that alone makes the Tab 2 compelling over the Nexus 7 with 16GB. I would have a hard time recommending the Tab 2 over the Nexus 7 at the same price but if you could get a Tab 2 for $50 or more off of the $200 price and really need the SD card then it becomes more competitive.

Keepitreal21

Oct 29, 2012
Do you still recommend the nexus 7 even with the build quality issues? I heard many say that they took the nexus 7 back because of broken pixels and the screen coming off the bezel, and I went to Staples yesterday and they said that they have had a lot of returns on the nexus because of issues. I just want to make sure I get something that will last.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As far as I know Google is honoring defect returns so you shouldn't have any concerns there. As far as lasting, well that is a tricky subject.

First, although yes you should be entitled to a quality device for your purchase but you have to remember you are buying in at the bottom tier. The advantage of buying from Google at the bottom tier vs. a China tab which promises more bang for the buck is you get Google support and the ability to return the tablet in the event of those aforementioned defects.

Second the life of tablets at this stage in their development is very short. Though you may get a tiny bit of future proofing because of the quality of the processor in the Nexus 7, you can really only expect a tablet to last about 1 year before it is out dated (maybe 2 years tops). In reality you are probably going to want an upgrade before the device physically dies. For example if you bought the 8GB Nexus 7 you are already being phased out for the 16GB version at the same price. That is just a life span of months.

Of course if the tablet works for you and is still running strong more than 2 years from when you buy it, there is nothing wrong with keeping it if you are happy with it. While my Nook Color has better developer support than most tablets and has ICS and Jelly Bean available for it, it is starting to feel very long in the tooth. Tablets simply do not have a life cycle as long term as desktop or even laptop PCs at this stage of the game and are definitely treated as disposable commodities by the manufacturers.

Keepitreal21

Oct 29, 2012
If your still out there j515op I just read that Jellybean will be available for the tab 2 in the near future should that sway my decision or is the nexus 7 just the best bang for my buck? Also I meant to ask this earlier, with the nexus 7 having the issues of not being compatible with many apps should I assume that, that is a problem with Jellybean being new and would it be bad to think that some of those issues may not be a problem going closer to Christmas?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
From a hardware perspective, the processor in the Nexus 7 is newer and faster. That is the biggest difference in the bang for the buck and the reason I would recommend it over the Tab 2. I would just worry that the Tab 2 would feel slow and outdated in comparison.

Usually the compatibility issue with apps and certain version of Android is overblown. That is to say there are very few apps that most versions of Android won't run, so I'm not sure where you got that information. If there is a specific app that is critical to you, you can read the reviews and contact the developer to see if it will work on Jelly Bean.

In fact the best way to ensure an app is compatible with the newest version of Android is always to contact the developer and let them know you are interested in their app and would like it to run in the newest Android. Sometimes there is a lag between the newest version of Android and an app being updated to work on that version but it is entirely dependent on the developer of the app. Some have their app updated in a day and some in a month. Most versions of Android updates don't require the apps to be updated though, only major shifts, Gingerbread to Honeycomb, Honeycomb to ICS. I don't think the change from ICS to Jelly Bean required any major app updating.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wouldn't put too much into that review. Notice how it isn't balanced and is only trying to take the tablet down? Sure it is useful to know such things but you have to keep in mind the whole point of the article was to pick out every flaw not generally review the tablet. Build issues you don't have to worry about a) they affect a small number of users (small percent relative to millions shipped) and b) if you have issues Google or the store you bought it from will replace it. So if you have dead pixels or a delaminated screen, you get a new one that is right.

Many people (mainly Apple users) like to compalin about the lack of tablet apps. In no way does this make a tablet less useful though. It might not be optimized but it works just fine. Particularly on a 7" device where you are as close to a phone size as a tablet size. Sure you still have extra screen real estate that can be utilized but blown up apps aren't noticeable going from a 4.7" phone to a 7" tablet like they are going from a 3.5" iPhone to a 10" iPad. In addition this is only a temporary issue. Apps are in fact being updated to be tablet optimized and eventually it will be a non-issue as they are.

I could go point by point, like about the screen rotation issue (fixed by the last update) and no 3G/4G (you are buying a budget tablet and know going into it this isn't an option), but I won't. I understand as a new user this is all a consideration but I think you are over thinking it and in particular you should look at newer or updated reviews since many issues have been addressed.

JP

Keepitreal21

Oct 29, 2012
I am probably overthinking it, its just like you said since I am new to getting a tablet I have a lot to consider and therefore a lot of questions. Stuff like 3g/4g is not important to me because I dont really use it, though I do know that the tab2 does have it. Should I care about gorilla glass since more than likely Ill be purchasing a case with it and also what the rear facing camera of the tab 2? Oh and btw thank you taking the time to answer my questions, as you can see you have been the only one doing that thus far so I appreciate that.

Keepitreal21

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No problem, glad I can help. Gorilla glass is very nice and if you can get it on a device that is a definite bonus. It is not the be all end all for durability though and I prefer to use my tablets with a screen protector but no case. Gorilla glass is more durable than standard glass but can still be scratched and it doesn't really help as far as drop shattering goes. If you drop a tablet from high enough on a hard enough surface it will break no matter what the screen is made out of.

JP

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
True but I will say from experience it is very hard to scratch Gorilla Glass. I feel no need for a screen protector, and I suppose I could be just lucky here, but I have yet to scratch any of the screens on my devices with Gorilla Glass, and that includes my HTC Evo 3D. I have managed to scratch the screens of other tablets I've owned as I really dislike to use screen protectors because even the best have a noticeable impact on brightness and clarity of the screen. I will say they have no noticeable impact on the effectiveness of the capacitive screen but can have an effect when using a capacitive stylus.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

ThinkingBrian

May 3, 2012
Mind if I add a few things.
1. Go to the store and try out each tablet and see how they feel to you.
2. I've owned a Nexus 7 for over a month now and I love it. Its fast and works great. No issues with build quality. I have it in a M-edge case. I bought the 16GB version and once I download several apps, two movies and put a few more movies and videos on, I was left with 2GB.
3. I have extra storage by streaming music, pictures and videos via wifi. I bought a 32GB Wi-Drive and it works great except that the device gets hot. I would suggest looking at a Airstash and Seagate wireless portable hard drive.
4. I believe cloud services aren't worth it in many cases because you have to stream that stuff either by WiFi or 3G/4GB and that all cost money.

Keepitreal21

Oct 29, 2012
Thinking Brian thanks for commenting. I have been doing that for about a week now also trying to get reviews from employees as well. I've played with both and I liked both. I know that the nexus is supposed to better in almost every way, but I guess since ive never owned a tablet that they both seemed good.