Samsung Galaxy Tab Wifi-only Model April 10th $350 Availability

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
samsung-galaxy-tab.jpg

Update: @SamsungService on Twitter has confirmed that the Galaxy Tab wifi has GPS.
4uFib.png

Samsung has finally come clean with a statement on the availability and price of the wifi-only Galaxy Tab, model GT-P1010, confirmed by Engadget, and after the preorder showed up a Frys last week. A list of retailers who will carry the device is here. Even though Samsung's specifications page has some mistakes in it, but it seems to indicate that the device does not have GPS functionality. Tigerdirect is not listing GPS as a feature in their specifications either. While not exactly a deal breaker, it is another point to consider when selecting this over its alternatives.

Source
Engadget

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Unless the screen matches what the Nook Color can do, for $100 less and comparable specs (minus the GPS) I'd grab the Nook. :)

-Matt

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Unless the screen matches what the Nook Color can do, for $100 less and comparable specs (minus the GPS) I'd grab the Nook. :)

-Matt

It has the same resolution at 1024x600, but I have not seen mention of the IPS that seems to be a premium feature of the NC. However, the Tab does have front and rear cameras if that matters to you, and dedicated function buttons on the bezel.

What I would wonder about the GPS is just how it would get the Google map info on the go (aside from the caching that I have had mixed luck with) - seems it would depend on tethering with a smartphone, right? Another way is an app that includes stored maps - thinking the Market offers a few. I would still want the "real time" traffic info of G-maps.

Plus it has FroYo now (or when it is released in a few more days), although there seems to be pretty "heavy buzz" that FroYo is coming to the NC about next week.

Decisions, deciscions ...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
It has the same resolution at 1024x600, but I have not seen mention of the IPS that seems to be a premium feature of the NC. However, the Tab does have front and rear cameras if that matters to you, and dedicated function buttons on the bezel.

What I would wonder about the GPS is just how it would get the Google map info on the go (aside from the caching that I have had mixed luck with) - seems it would depend on tethering with a smartphone, right? Another way is an app that includes stored maps - thinking the Market offers a few. I would still want the "real time" traffic info of G-maps.

Plus it has FroYo now (or when it is released in a few more days), although there seems to be pretty "heavy buzz" that FroYo is coming to the NC about next week.

Decisions, deciscions ...
Thanks rokky, had myself a senior moment there and forgot about all the other goodies on the Samsung. I would have scoffed at the camera, but now that I have a front-facing camera on a 10" gTablet I appreciate it. And the microphone too, for voice search. Hadn't thought of the physical buttons either, since Button Savior works so well on the Nook, but again you're right. It's nice to have the option.

I kind of wonder, after using GPS on a 7" or 10" tablet while driving, if it then feels silly to go back to doing it on a cell phone?

-Matt

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I have to say that after seriously considering another lower-cost tablet like the Herotab C8, I think I might go for this one as an upgrade from my Haipad.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
So does anyone know who is selling this tab at retail? Here it is 2 days after "release", and I have not seen info on outlets so far. No BestBuy or CompUSA/TigerDirect listings (that I could find) - anyone have info for sources/links?

TIA

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
So does anyone know who is selling this tab at retail? Here it is 2 days after "release", and I have not seen info on outlets so far. No BestBuy or CompUSA/TigerDirect listings (that I could find) - anyone have info for sources/links?

TIA

OOPS! I forgot that CompUSA does have it listed (CompUSA.com | GT-P1010CWAXAR | SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 7 WiFi Android Tablet ), but only online. I would rather see it physically to get eyes/hands on for ultimate "look-n-feel test". :eek: