Samsung GT-P7500 screen dims after 5 seconds & shuts down after another 5

Mcnoogle

Mar 24, 2012
Please help, my screeen all of a sudden dims after 5 seconds, and then sleeps after another 5.
This happens REGARDLESS of whether the battery is full or not, whether powersaving is on or not, and auto adjust screen
brightness is on or not.
I have tried rebooting, removing sim, fully draining battery, even hard rebooting, causing me to lose all my saved data.
I am at wits end, my tablet is 3 months old, I need to know how to fix this.
Please help.

iic1tls

May 16, 2012
I just purchased a brand new GT-P5113, and I am seeing the same exact problem. Android 4.0.3, Kernel 3.0.8-396106-user se.infra@SEP-72 #1 Build: IML74K.p5113UEALD7.

Can someone please issue a firmware update for this problem?

THANK YOU

mikentucky

May 17, 2013
A quick question, what is your screen timeout set to?

I know this thread died unanswered, but it is EXACTLY my problem--Samsung Galaxy S3 that the screen dims after 5 seconds and goes dark after another 5. Power saving is turned off; Smart Stay is off (when it's on it works fine); screen timeout is set to 1 minute. Yet the screen goes dim after 5 seconds and if I don't touch it, it goes dark after another 5. I've looked through all the settings individually and can find nothing that pertained to screen dim, the phone is not rooted, and it's done it since I bought the phone yesterday--before I downloaded the first app, so I don't think it's an app misbehaving.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Mike. You're right it's old but not dead yet. ;)

Have you at any point in the past installed any power management apps on your tablet. The problem you're describing definitely shouldn't be there. I assume that so long as you continue to use it constantly that there isn't a problem until you stop for 5 seconds. I would check on some of the other apps that you have installed it may be interfering with the timeout. If you can't come up with something, you might want to consider doing a factory reset.

mikentucky

May 17, 2013
Well, I found the answer myself. There are TWO places where you can set a password--one for the screen timeout that everybody uses, but also a separate one that sets how long the screen has to be idle before the lock code sets. Directly related, if you set a password for the lockscreen activation time, you also have to define the level of inactivity before a password is required. I had my screen timeout set at one minute, but my lockscreen activation time was set for 15 seconds--so the lockscreen was timing out and setting in fifteen seconds, long before the screen timeout ever even got close to it's one minute setting.

Hope this helps people who run into the same problem :)

mikentucky

May 17, 2013
And I would LOVE to post the path to the obscure lockscreen setting--I remember it wasn't somewhere that would make you say "here's where it should be"---but I traded the S3 in on an S4 a little bit ago and the settings menu is totally different on the S4. Sorry!