Samsung Officially Unveils Galaxy Gear Smartwatch

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by dgstorm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Just as previously rumored, Samsung launched the Galaxy Gear smartwatch at their IFA Unpacked press event. Here's what we know:
    • Receive and make calls on the Galaxy Gear without ever taking phone out of pocket - Can call with S Voice "voice commands"
    • 1.63-inch OLED touch display (320 x 320 pixels)
    • 800MHz processor
    • 4GB of storage
    • 512MB of RAM
    • Accelerometer
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • Android 4.3
    • Smart Delay - allows you to connect to your other Galaxy devices
    • 1.9 megapixel camera - Memographer - outward facing camera to quick swipe a picture - Also works with Augmented Reality
    • Runs specifically designed apps that can be find on the Gear App Store
    • 315mAh battery - more than a day on one charge
    The Galaxy Gear will only be compatible with the Galaxy Note 3 and the new Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet at launch, but support or the SGS3 and SGS4 and other Galaxy Note devices will come later. It comes in six different colors, and will launch on September 25th globally. It will initially sell in the United States for $299.

[​IMG]

For more discussions regarding the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch, we have created a section in the forums. You can find it here: Galaxy Gear

Here's the full press release,

2. edap

edap Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A110
    I guess that the Samsung Galaxy Gear is basically an Android device like every other phone out there, except with weaker hardware and no cellular radios? Yes, it runs basic Android, which means apps should work on this device. And with an 800MHz processor and 512MB of RAM, it should run most apps just fine. In testing, it totally works. I'm wondering though if anyone has actually purchased one.

3. Tom T

Tom T Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Hauwei S7
    Since it only works with the Galaxy Note 3 for the time being and since it is not being suggested or marketed as a stand alone device I imagine it's adoption rate will be slow. By December it will have compatibility with the SGS4 and Galaxy Note 2 and I will probably take a closer look at it then. Not sure if enough support could be found, especially at the $300 price point, to develop for this as a stand alone Android device.

4. idontknow

idontknow Alternate ATF App Tester

Tablet / Device:
    galaxy note,galaxy 8.9 ,nook color
    Just a toy, if one has 300 to spare and I believe one would get bored fast !

5. Tom T

Tom T Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Hauwei S7
    I think you are right there, although some of its functionality could be compelling the question is why do you need a remote control for a phone?

6. idontknow

Tablet / Device:
    I'm going to pass on this one! Besides I'm still in love with my big note,I don't want anything smaller! :)

7. Tom T

Tom T Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Hauwei S7
    I'm with you there, I am infatuated with my Note, and you were right I find myself using a tablet far less often.

8. edap

edap Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A110
    Isn't the Note also still considered to be a tablet?

9. Tom T

Tom T Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Hauwei S7
    In a sense, the term they use is phablet. I say they because I think it sounds kind of goofy. 5.5 inch screen is big enough for many things you would use a tablet for but certainly not all. And Android installs somewhat differently on phones and tablets. For example even though this has the same quad core Exynos processor as my Note 10.1 (although my Note 2 runs at a higher clock speed) and the display is basically the same resolution app. 1200x800 I own Sketchbook pro and it won't install on my 'phone'. Still it is probably the coolest gadget I have ever owned and if I had to I could probably be satisfied with this device as a tablet.

10. edap

edap Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A110
    From your post, I assumed that you were referring to your Big Note, which I'm sure that you'll agree is by all counts still a tablet. As for the difference between a phone and a tablet, that distinction in terms of screen size is quickly disappearing as more phone devices like the Samsung Mega and Sony Ultra are introduced. Are they 'small tablets' or 'big smart phones'? Ah, forget it...

11. tpaine

tpaine Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby 7042, Coby 8065, Lenovo A2109
    If this was a google device, people would be buzzing. It would be interesting to see an open android version. Depending on what sensors samsung has or adds to this little device, it could be a big hit in the personal health/fitness area.

Look for open, non smasung/apple/google devices to appear in the next year. apple and google devices are sure to show.

12. idontknow

Tablet / Device:
    $Screenshot_2013-10-13-01-28-17.png

When I bought my 5.3 Galaxy note,I thought I was buying a phone but after a year of use, I think of it as a small Tablet.

13. tablet1425

tablet1425 Member

amazing smartwatch but too bad its not bendy!

14. Tom T

Tom T Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Hauwei S7
    I noticed Sony just released version 2 of their smartwatch @ $200. No camera but it looks nice.

15. edap

edap Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A110
    The Sony SmartWatch 2 is an intriguing product. It has a 1.6-inch 220×176 pixel transflective display, 3-4 day battery life, NFC, and a metal, water resistant body. It has over 80 apps optimized for it, full compatibility with any smartphone running Android 4.0 or later, and costs a third less than the Galaxy Gear at $199.95 on the Sony online store.