Samsung Pokes Fun at Apple Maps in Australia with 'Stranded Vehicle' Demonstrations

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
samsung-pokes-fun-at-apple-maps-in-australia.jpeg

Today's Samsung vs. Apple news requires a little bit of back-story. A couple of days ago, Apple Maps got some pretty heavy negative press from none other than the Police Department in Victoria, Australia. Apparently, Apple Maps directions to a city called Mildura in Victory, Australia were so far off that if you followed them you could end up stranded in a remote and "snake-infested" area without water & fuel. In fact, this actually happend to six vehicles who contacted the police for help after becoming lost and/or stranded in this desolate area after following Apple Maps' directions. The Victorian police even issued a statement that Apple Maps was potentially life-threatening and that people shouldn't follow it.

Today Samsung decided to use this major snafu from Apple to their own marketing advantage. They set up live "stranded vehicle" demonstrations in two different spots: One is in the Southern Cross Station in Melbourne with a loaded VW hippy van, and the other is in the Australia Square in Sydney with a dirty Nissan Patrol 4WD. Both of these "demonstrations" poke indirect fun at the Apple Maps fiasco, with signs that say, "Oops, should have got a Samsung Galaxy S III. Get Navigation you can trust."

It's hard not to laugh at this clever and creative marketing angle. The fact that Samsung's marketing department thought of this and implemented it in just a couple of days deserves some credit, but we wonder if this "ad campaign" goes a bit too far? What do you think, spot-on or too mean?

Source: PhoneArena

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It is pretty funny and serious at the same time. The issue is severe if it happened to six different vehicles. People actually do depend on the map applications in literally life and death situations (e.g. where is the nearest hospital). Apple needs to deal with the issue (and is) but there is no reason Samsung shouldn't use this to their advantage. Let's not forget Apple started the war and Samsung has been firing back every chance they get since then.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Normally, I might think it was too over the top.

But, it seems to me that Apple has been spending its time suing the crap out of Samsung (amongst others) and then going out and developing their own app for navigation purposes rather than leverage others.

So, I am on Sammy's side and think it is great that they moved so swiftly.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Its not the first time someone has followed their GPS too closely:

Man follows GPS directions onto train tracks, into dummy hall of fame

I also remember reading about an English fellow driving along side the English Channel and his GPS told him to turn right. The only thing to the right was 2 fences and the English Channel. He turned right as his GPS instructed. He made it through the first fence and almost through the 2nd with his BMW...

GPS is a tool, and I have seen a lot of people who become tools because the depend on it rather than looking at a map to ensure that their GPS is right.

If you are traveling from Florida to Main and you head through San Francisco, hopefully you realize something is not right.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
All I have to say now is that I'm delighted Apple wised up and gave us back Google Maps! It's tough to admit defeat to your greatest foe, but especially in the technology realm there are others that just do certain things better.