Samsung Tablet File Transfer To PC

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
PC operating system is windows 7

Samsung tablet operating system is android 4.4.2

I am working on my mom's tablet to get files onto an external hdd. I am connecting through usb. It says usb device not recognized. So I changed cables but no go. I tries going into device manager but still has explanation point by it. I hear the sound from my computer that something is being plugged in like normal. I have tried a hard reset on the tablet but no go. I have did this once before but now it is not working btw. I tried looking for usb debugging but there is no option on her tablet, so I am assuming she has one that there is no such option. She had malware programs to check for viruses but nothing. I tried downloading smart switch but that did not work. I know my usb is working fine on my laptop because the external hdd in the usb port works fine. But when I plug in the Samsung, no go. I am running out of options, I have no idea what I should try next.

New to this forum btw.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I'm a little dense these days but the more I read your post the more confuted I got about what you really need to do. I'm guessing you wanted to get files from the tablet onto the PC.

Let me suggest a few no hassle ways to get that done rather than trying to figure out what other issue you may have. There is a free app on the Store called AirDroid and another called WiFi File Transfer. Either app will allow you to transfer files in either direction over your network.

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
Sorry, but yes I am trying to transfer pictures from the tablet to the computer and then too an external hdd. I do not know about wifi transfer and all your talking about will work without a massive amount of time. I would need to individually click on each picture? Can I delete all of them to free up space afterwards very easily? This is why I wanted to connect usb. And I still want to know what is going on. Why can't I transfer when I was able to before easy?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It sounds like the tablet once connected via USB to your PC and now doesn't. The lost of possibilities are quite long, registry/file/drive corruptions changes in the system configuration, anti virus and more. If you try a different USB port, that may work. Check hidden devices in device manager and delete anything that doesn't belong.

I vote for AirDroid. It's the closest you will get to working with your PC's file manager. By the time you get the tablet connected you could have transferred all of them over WiFi.

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
I will check the tablets registry and virus. I have tried different usb ports, trust me. And if it would have connected like it should by usb, I could beat wifi because I wont have to click one at a time where as in pc I can highlight the whole thing and just cut it. Is there any way this can be a hardware issue with the tablet?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think the problem is in the tablet, especially if you're using the same port for charging and not having problems. With USB ports, anything is possible and yes it could be hardware, but I doubt it.

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
If your talking about my pc having a virus and registry error, then no it does not have that problem and the ports are working fine. I plugged in the external usb hdd into the same port and it works fine. When I plug the tablet in the same port, no go. So it is not with the usb. So clearly something else is wrong, just what is it? Please list a few more possibilities and if it is computer or tablet problem.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I really don't have that much time. Many people that have developed this problem over time never found a solution We could spend all night discussing it. Not me. I have provide nearly all the positiveness that might actually solve the problem.

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
I understand but the problem still persists. But I will wait for someone who can provide another possible solution.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Are you using the original USB cable? Some cables, especially ones for Logitech devices, do not have the pins for data transfer connected. Using such a cable will let you charge a device, but not transfer files back and forth. So make sure you're using the original cable, and connect to a different USB port on the PC if necessary.

The other possibility is damage to the MicroUSB port on the tablet. Now, I second the recommendation regarding Airdroid, but an even faster alternative is installing Google Photos from the Play Store and letting it back up the pictures it finds to cloud storage for later download on the PC.

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
Yes, I am using the original cable and used different usb ports. The device charges fine though, so it is still possible that the micro usb port is damaged?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I vote, Windows, as I pretty much have been. I do have a solution, do a fresh install of Windows. ;)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It is possible the MicroUSB port is damaged, even though the device charges fine. Time to have Samsung look at it.

that random guy

Jul 20, 2016
Ugh, hate to fork over that money to pay. I will just to doing the file transfer through wifi. Going take a long time sense my mother had like a thousand pictures that I have to now click one by one instead of just coping the whole thing and pasting.