Santa, Please Bring a Nexus 7 to My House

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
Mrs. Claus, my better half, has said I could have anything cause I never have a Christmas list. Guess I always considered myself as the giver, but now that the nest is empty...MY TURN ;)

I've measured the stocking by the fireside and it is big enough for a 7" tablet.

My biggest dilema, what do I do when it comes? I have never used or seen a tablet until my wife asked about her Coby. After joining the forums here I discovered it was a lost cause and a burial at sea was not required.

If I could bother those in the know for a few tips on first journey into tablets and Android I will appreciate it. I love to read, so links are welcolme if it helps.

Beware of future annoying questions coming after Santa drops his load.

Riski1

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi again Riski,

Assuming you're getting a N7 Gen 2, your new tablet will either come with KitKat already installed or will immediately update itself to it. Be sure to charge the tablet for a few hours before using it the first time, you don't want the battery to go dead in the middle of an update. But you already knew that since you read and memorized the "sticky" threads I referred you to in another thread.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, you might want to do a forum search for KitKat (The search box right under "Settings" at the top right of any forum page.). Read through all the hits to learn what you can about your tablet's Android version. Much of that is right there in the forum you posted this thread in.

Then, check out the information Google provides https://support.google.com/nexus/#topic=3415518 for your tablet.

And last, but not least, get all excited. You only get a first tablet once, so enjoy it.

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
Hi again Riski,

But you already knew that since you read and memorized the "sticky" threads I referred you to in another thread.:rolleyes:

Too old to be memorizing, but I did print all that seems relavent for a near future experience.

Then, check out the information Google provides https://support.google.com/nexus/#topic=3415518 for your tablet.

Been there, browsed that and bookmarked for safe keeping ;)

And last, but not least, get all excited. You only get a first tablet once, so enjoy it.

Do I seem excited, I is :cool:

The one thing I will stay away from as mentioned in "The Newby One Day Guide" is Rooting. From what I've read so far, the Nexus 7 doesn't come with all the crap others are noted for.

Sure it will come with KitKat by Dec 25, so I will be searching. I thank you!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The one thing I will stay away from as mentioned in "The Newby One Day Guide" is Rooting. From what I've read so far, the Nexus 7 doesn't come with all the crap others are noted for.

Good plan.:rolleyes: Not only does it not have a lot of crap, it does have the PlayStore. Many people root their tablets primarily to add the PlayStore, but you'll already have it.

BTW While you're waiting. If you don't already have a Google account, head over to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=googleplay&continue=https://play.google.com/store/apps and create one. You won't be able to d/l any apps without one. Even free apps require you to have an account.

I'd also suggest you create an Amazon account after you have the tablet, and d/l the Amazon Appstore app. https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000626391&ref_=mas_dl_appstore_rr

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks for taking that thought out of my mind.

I am ready it seems cause I do have several Google accounts and Amazon Prime account.

Guess I should leave some info on Mrs. Santa's desktop so she doesn't miss it :cool:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I am ready it seems cause I do have several Google accounts and Amazon Prime account.

I can't think of anything else you can do, so you're as ready as you'll ever be.:eek: If you can hold out till Christmas, you have more will power than I.:rolleyes:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Among the hundreds of Android tablets on the market now, the Google Nexus, has been rated "best 7-inch Android tablet" on InvestorPlace.com, on Nov. 26. Maybe another reason to test that will power...

Missed Opportunity
BTW Staples had a fantastic deal going on yesterday. You were able to get a whole $50 off your choice of tablet, as long as its original price was over $150.

This deal applied to the new Nexus 7 2013, which retails for $229.99. This dropped the price to $179.99, an absolute steal for the money.

Last edited:

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013

Missed Opportunity
BTW Staples had a fantastic deal going on yesterday. You were able to get a whole $50 off your choice of tablet, as long as its original price was over $150.

This deal applied to the new Nexus 7 2013, which retails for $229.99. This dropped the price to $179.99, an absolute steal for the money.

Damm...day late, but gots the dollar :( Should be watching the forum better.

Get so anxious that I'm looking for cases already and a backup device.