Sapphire is unscratchable, unbreakable, and the next big thing in touchscreens Read

tommer

Mar 24, 2013
Sapphire is unscratchable, unbreakable,
and the next big thing in touchscreens
:cool:

$evst2056-300x300.jpg

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, of course I heard it will cost around $30 per device, which is prohibitive except for the very high end and even there it might be a hard sell given the fact that Gorilla Glass has lived up to its promise and more.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
From the article:
“We didn’t realize what we had here, but the mobile industry has a huge problem with broken screens. You wouldn’t believe the number of people who come by the booth and take out their phone and show us their shattered phone.”
I'd believe it. Between work, my fitness club, etc., I see cracked screens fairly regularly.

“Based on the conversations we’ve had with OEMS [Original Equipment Manufacturers], they’re willing to pay up to $15 or $20 for a better screen,” explained Squiller. “This will be $10 to $15 more expensive than Gorilla Glass. I think that [Gorilla Glass] display – that display that you just ruined – I think that was about $5 or $6 and we’re going to be at about $15 or so.”
I would gladly pay another $20 or so for a smartphone for a virtually indestructible screen.

I'm currently a smartphone holdout for a number of reasons. Their large, relatively fragile screens being one of them. I'd cry if I went out, "bought" a brand new smartphone for $200 or whatever, dropped it, and destroyed the screen right out of the gate. Every other one of my phones has hit the floor/ground one-or-more times throughout their lives. I've every reason to expect a smartphone would, as well.

Jim