Saving In MicroSD

suedemonkey

Dec 7, 2012
I am trying to do this on my Coby Kyros MID7036 but I am a bit confused with the NANdroid Backup, I have already installed the ROM Manager but when I try to do a Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, it would say that my device is not supported. is there anyway to go around this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I am trying to do this on my Coby Kyros MID7036 but I am a bit confused with the NANdroid Backup, I have already installed the ROM Manager but when I try to do a Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, it would say that my device is not supported. is there anyway to go around this issue?

Thanks!

Clockwork recovery is not an app, its a system funtion and must be installed from another computer via ADB (android debugging bridge). so far, there is no clockwork recovery for your tablet (7036). Therefor you have a stock recovery. It is not capable of making a nandroid backup. here's the thread to check the progress:

Recovery for coby, 7034,7036,7048,8048

be careful making these changes to your tablet. Do you have adb setup on your non laptop computer?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012

Thanks!
Uninstall ROM Manager as it doesn't work on Coby tablets. Also, there are no ClockworkMod recovery images available for your device. At the top of this forum is a sticky thread explaining how to install ADB, in case you're still interested.

Dec 13, 2012
A word of caution - I tried this on my MID7036 and followed instructions to a T

Did not work in terms of flip flopping or fooling the device into thinking the ext_sd was the internal sd

End result - dont ask me how or why..wy wifi is SHOT now - I immediately lost connectivity - I have the wifi icon and shows strong signal and outgoing arrow - so I can connect to my network via static IP (normal) so the device can send packets out and show connection to my network..however it cannot take packets in and access the internet, play store etc.

Lucky my I did a complete system dump, however I cannot for the life of my find instructions on how to use adb shell to flash the img files.

Found some sites that tell me to boot the device in fastboot mode...I cannot get this thing in fastboot mode for the life of me...it will only allow boot to recovery mode via vol down and power button.

I'm pissed beyond words (course I blame myself )

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have tried to warn people not to do this unless they have a allwinner tablet, I posted how to do this a long time ago and it was only meant for allwinner tablets. same goes for build.prop it wont be long til someone posts they can't boot their telechips tablet cause they edited their build.prop

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2012
basically gave up and called Coby support...wow they are less than intelligent and a little rude. long story short, guy told me its faulty hardware to return it to the store where i purchased it. i unrooted and factory reset and returned /exchanged for a new 7036. i cant help but think i killed it screwing with this thread. gotta be real careful with these telchip tablets. my new rule is if it aint a vampire file...i m not messing with it.
i have a nice image dump from my original, i wish someone would help me with adb commands to flash my 3 img files ant tar file

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
basically gave up and called Coby support...wow they are less than intelligent and a little rude. long story short, guy told me its faulty hardware to return it to the store where i purchased it. i unrooted and factory reset and returned /exchanged for a new 7036. i cant help but think i killed it screwing with this thread. gotta be real careful with these telchip tablets. my new rule is if it aint a vampire file...i m not messing with it.
i have a nice image dump from my original, i wish someone would help me with adb commands to flash my 3 img files ant tar file

you would use fastboot commands not adb commands, but you would most likely need to repackage them first.

Dec 13, 2012
this is what kills me ... i have my system dump files, but cant find details on how to use them
i tried fastboot recovery.img while in fastboot/bootloader mode and it didnt do jack. the fastboot cmd window showed that it flashed, but upon reboo, nothing changed

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
this is what kills me ... i have my system dump files, but cant find details on how to use them
i tried fastboot recovery.img while in fastboot/bootloader mode and it didnt do jack. the fastboot cmd window showed that it flashed, but upon reboo, nothing changed

what are you talking about? Do you even know what recovery.img is? what change did you expect? if you fastboot recovery.img and is succeeds that means you have flashed recovery.img nothing more.

you wont see anything different as recovery.img doesn't do anything, neither does boot.img, you flash these two if they got damaged, if you are want to restore system then you fastboot system.img
fastboot flashes .img files however I don't know if your system.img is in right format or not but none the less you can flash it.

For whatever reason some people think recovery.img restores their android to factory, this isn't what recovery.img does at all, recovery.img is a small kernel with ramdisk that allows you to install stuff to your tablet in a safemode, eg while desktop mode isn't running. Stock recovery only allows the manufacturer signed zips to install, and allows data to be deleted, custom recovery allows both manufacturer signed zips and non signed zips to install, plus allows the use of adb as well as backing up and restoring any backups one has made.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/wiki/fastboot

I don't know what type of guide you are looking for, fastboot is straight across the board, you type commands in terminal just like adb but you use fastboot binary instead of adb. You don't have to flash every ing file you have, you can flash only one or as many as you like, provided you have the img file to flash.

fastboot flash userdata data.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2012
thanks vamp..i definitely had the wrong concepts regarding recovery.img...i fully expected it to restore my tablet to previous state from the day i sysdumped the files.
at this point i want to take my new stock tab and make it like the one just returned via the img files . i thought i could just flash all of the img files and reboot and it would look the same and have the same apps reviously installed, but that is not the case
didnt mean to heat you up brotha..i am a technical guy ...well netwotrking not tabs.
lookslike i'll just start over..no big deal
lesson learned here with modding, its a rubberband...u cant stretch it TOO far or it will snap
respect to you vamp...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
thanks vamp..i definitely had the wrong concepts regarding recovery.img...i fully expected it to restore my tablet to previous state from the day i sysdumped the files.
at this point i want to take my new stock tab and make it like the one just returned via the img files . i thought i could just flash all of the img files and reboot and it would look the same and have the same apps reviously installed, but that is not the case
didnt mean to heat you up brotha..i am a technical guy ...well netwotrking not tabs.
lookslike i'll just start over..no big deal
lesson learned here with modding, its a rubberband...u cant stretch it TOO far or it will snap
respect to you vamp...

I am not upset, lol just a little under the weather,
You need custom recovery to do what you want to do.

Dec 13, 2012
I'm assuming something like CWM would be the route for custom recovery. I downloaded Titanium Backup and need to read up on that as well.

Thanks again buddy..