Screen Problems for 9742

Jscuda70

May 7, 2012
Since I have rooted with cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip everything seems to be working ok, but the screen seems very touchy. It likes to zoom in on webpages and it is kind of hit or miss. It doesn't seem to have a problem in the first 5 min of use from boot up, but after that it seems to get pretty bad almost unusable.. Anyone have any Ideas?

Link to Livesuite ROM removed from this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

deejaylewlew

May 15, 2012
I know I probably can't help much but have you tried flashing any other roms. Its entirely possible you got a bad download. Also I remember someone saying that not having the stock build.prop messed with his touch screen efficiency. Just some thoughts. Hopefully the solution is something simple.

Jscuda70

May 7, 2012
Are there other roms available other than the cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip? or just download it again and re-do the whole process? I think I had the problem also with my old cell when I used a generic charger I got super cheap I guess it would send too much power to the device ? and the screen would not act right, very similar to this although this happens to the tablet when it is not charging...

deejaylewlew

May 15, 2012
i would try re-downloading the exact same file if there are no other roms. these things are very picky like that.. if that doesnt work im sure someone else will chime in with more info

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Since I have rooted with cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip everything seems to be working ok, but the screen seems very touchy. It likes to zoom in on webpages and it is kind of hit or miss. It doesn't seem to have a problem in the first 5 min of use from boot up, but after that it seems to get pretty bad almost unusable.. Anyone have any Ideas?

Hi, same problem here.
For me it's down to a creaky screen.
I pressed all around the edges, felt a click or 2 on right side.
Seems fine now, but we'll see how it goes!

shelbym

Jun 12, 2012
Same problem here. Right out of the box I rooted it with the cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip and noticed the screen was temperamental sometimes and would click when I tried to scroll or zoom when I tried to scroll. Didn't use it too much before it was rooted so I can't compare but I am having the same issues as you along with slower then normal browsing compared to my droid x on wifi and a lot of force closes and slow loading apps. Flashed back to what I thought was stock to see is it was the rooted ROM causing problems and not the tablet itself(cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3.zip) but noticed this is rooted also. Anybody have a link for the stock rom too flash back too?

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Still having this problem too.
I assumed a creaky right hand side was to blame, but thats not an issue anymore.
I actually cant remember if the origional stock was ok at this stage.
I flashed the rom with google apps almost straight away.
I recently flashed back to what I thought was stock, but its rooted.
I'm kinda leaning towards it being browser related, as closing down windows of certain sites seems to make it go away.
Cant seem to get a proper pattern going to be sure, its just a hunch at this stage.
Doing a factory reset gets it back to normal, perhaps this is a memory related issue?
Also, this zooming/clicking on whatever link/button your are swiping over happens in settings too.
You try to scroll down a menu and it ticks every box it passes over. Weird.

Any help or ideas would be great guys, its a dream to use when its working but this issue is very annoying!

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
OK Guys, I think I have these issues figured out.
I put the 9742 into recovery mode and from there cleared cache partition and factory reset.
I suspect the rooted with google store image needs the partition cleared as apps are added to the restore image.

I'm now running fine for a couple of days light usage with the stock rooted image.
Today or tomorrow I will flash the rooted with google store image, clear everything in recovery again and report back if I have any issues.
Fingers crossed!

How To Place Coby MID9742 into Recovery Mode

How To Place Coby MID9742 into Recovery Mode (system recovery utility).
Turn the MID9742 Off before you try this procedure:

1) Press and Hold.. VolumeUp & Back button ...
2) While still holding above .... Press & Hold Power button. (30 Seconds)
3) When a Big Green Android Robot appears, Release all buttons. .... You are in Recovery Mode
4) hit the BACK button and you will see the options

--HINT - if the word "android" appears you failed- LONG/HOLD Power to Turn/OFF tabet then try again. - Start at # 1

You will see the following Menu:

Android system recovery -- Android system recovery utility

- Apply update from external storage
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- apply update from cache

The 2nd option (wipe data/factory reset) should restore to factory condition.

-Thanks to sonysony for the recovery instructions.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I have found an easier method for getting into recovery. I use volume down and do not hold the back button down. I don't know whether this is because my firmware is newer than everyone else's, but I have had great success getting into recovery this way.

Last edited:

diegomol

Sep 23, 2012
Seems that i've same issue, with this rooted cwf from steev, after fixing the issue of the screen axis and camera changing drivers with the correct ones renamed from this post seems that when i run the tablet with USB charge everything works smooth, but once connected to power source the screen goes touchy or like a crazy typing texta alone on keyboard. is there any fix available?
I own a MID9742-8.
I am actually thinking to buy a USB power source and forget my charger for now.

Any help to fix power source driver would be apreciated.

;)