Screen Protector Necessary?

samhastie

Feb 17, 2012
I've been having a constant debate with my friends about whether or not to get a screen protector for my girlfriend's vizio 8". I think that we should just because of our day to day usage. Its bound to get minor scratches and I thought the 20$ investment would go a long way. What do you guys think?

Thank you.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
You're probably going to start a similar debate here.:rolleyes: My only comment would be, I've never used one and the screen on my year old Nook Color is perfect.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
And I'll be the other side of the coin and say I like them. I think they help with fingerprints, dirt and general protection. My screen protector has marks that I can't help but think would otherwise be on the screen. I don't feel like I am particularly hard on my devices but things happen. Like you say the cost is cheap. Try it out and you probably will forget all about it after a couple of days but still have the protection. If you don't like it you can always take it off.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Because we all have some film on our skin, everytime we touch the screen, we leave a thin layer of skin film. Bought the capacitive stylus, and clean the screen weekly, instead of 4-5 times a day. Only have to clean skin scum from the stylus! Buy dot com for 4 stylus for $6.97. Love this Vizio VTAB1008

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
Agree with FanNo301...the stylus is the way to go...very few screen smudges after buying one and using it. It is actually much easier to use too. Just wish I had waited and bought mine from Buy.com ..LOL
And I also love my Vizio Vtab1008 with Honeycomb!

Texano78704

Nov 30, 2011
I use screen protectors on my Vtab and my phone. You can get three screen protectors for $5 on eBay. For me it's cheap insurance against scratches and marks.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Gave my Mom a stylus for her Nook. I know, why did I let her buy a Nook when the Vtab1008 is 9 times the tablet than any Nook; well they just don't understand!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gave my Mom a stylus for her Nook. I know, why did I let her buy a Nook when the Vtab1008 is 9 times the tablet than any Nook; well they just don't understand!!!

If it is a Nook Color we have a great section for making it into killer tablet :) Nook

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
We are old folks and losing more skin than the average. :cool:

We tried a screen protector for two months. We still had to wipe the screen frequently and we did not like a duller screen.

Took the protector off and now have to deal with more screen glare. But I like the true screen display without a protector.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
J515OP said:
If it is a Nook Color we have a great section for making it into killer tablet :) Nook

It's the Nook Tablet. She hates the small screen and single speaker sound. She coughed-up 350 clams: 200 unit, 30 for the cover, + 100 for a prepaid account, + tax = 350. Sometimes your parents just don't listen and go on their own way...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It's the Nook Tablet. She hates the small screen and single speaker sound. She coughed-up 350 clams: 200 unit, 30 for the cover, + 100 for a prepaid account, + tax = 350. Sometimes your parents just don't listen and go on their own way...

Ouch, well that is how it goes sometimes. Fortunately you can also make the Nook Tablet into a great device with only a little more effort than a Nook Color. Hardware wise, some people would consider the 7" screen an advantage. It is only "small" if you want a 10" screen to begin with. The single rear facing speaker is not the best feature but works. Speed wise a Nook Tablet (16GB at least and probably 8GB too) will run circles around the Vtab, when it comes to video especially.

Still head over to the Nook section for more info about how to root or run a bootable SD card on the Nook Tablet (directions coming soon, I promise). It really becomes a true tablet with just a little effort.

Androidinabox

Mar 15, 2012
I would say YES - definately use a screen protector. Without a screen protector, it would be bad if you scratch your screen. And using a tablet with scratched screen is nightmare.