Screen turning off and on when asleep?

DForbes

Apr 25, 2011
I just turned on the new one and it was doing the same thing. I called back Acer support again and spoke to another level 2 person and she also claimed they are not aware of this problem. The unit I have must be defective and that I should send it in for repair (2 week turn around also very rude) She insisted they had a couple there and they were not doing it. Also according to her you can not tether it by Bluetooth to a 3G capable phone to use it's internet connection or to a computer to transfer data as it says in their specs, I am going to return it spend the extra money and get a Motorola Xoom. You get what you pay for.

Hey rode

I wouldn't jump so fast as I have had a zoom for about a week now and its not much better. My bet is this is related to software as my droid incredible does the same thing and just seems to be random.

Update from my first post; I did notice it was worse when I had weather bug running in the background. I uninstalled and haven't seen the issue for about an hr now but will report back. I also notice that many of the available widgets do not update when they are supposed to and the os appears a little unstable. All of this should be nothing new to all of us as since we are on this forum we are considered bleeding edge users (noticed I didn't say leading edge, :) Just give it some time and this will be a good device.

Dennis

wilson2015

Apr 24, 2011
Hey guys.... try turn the Wi-Fi off before turn the scree off.... it works for me, the screen won't go on randomly after the Wi-Fi is off. I think it has nothing to do with the hardware, maybe is the software issues...

iamcoop

Apr 27, 2011
I'm giving up and taking mine back. Great tablet, but this problem is a serious pain. I may reconsider when this gets fixed, but until then I really don't need a tablet that lights up my whole room at night at random times.:(

neoprimal

Apr 28, 2011
I find that it only happens if a. I have automatic or background sync on and b. When I have something in the notification area.

So for instance, Pulse causes it to display up when it gets a new story, gmail causes it to light up when I get a new email notification and it's possible that widgets that sync (facebook, weather) also cause it to light up.

I could be wrong, but that leads me to believe it's either a purposeful way to let you know you have a notification or a bug that causes it to briefly display while a sync has happened/is happening?

Apr 29, 2011
Mine kinda has this problem but backwards. While using the tab every 3-5 mins it ask me if I want to shut down? Battery is fully charged?

cbotd

Apr 29, 2011
I am also having this problem with no fix found. I tend to agree that disabling WiFi, or possibly Weather Bug (which is running in the BG) could potentially correct the problem ( I haven't yet tried). I have seen mine kick on and ask for my pin almost always when there is a new email or possibly when weather bug updates.

I would think this is a software issue not a hardware issue. My Elocity A7 would turn the WiFi off when in sleep mode and although it is on Froyo I never had an issue with the screen randomly turning on.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Mine only lights up when I get a new message, or I found that if I log into chat from a PC while Talk is on the tablet, it will light up.

So if I disable sync and log outta talk, it doesnt light up anymore. Which I do anyway at night, because I don't want notifications to wake me up.

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
I have been having the same problem but I haven't really worried about it until today. I stuck it in its netbook case in a desk drawer. I opened the drawer to get something out and everything in the drawer was hot. I opened the case and the A500 was almost to hot to touch. And the screen was on. Anyone had this problem, I am preety sure I have to replace this unit. I do love it though.

russell5

Apr 29, 2011
I just noticed the screen turn on on mine when it was sleeping. Don't use weatherbug. Was connected to wifi and have the wifi sleep policy set to never.

giancarlo_f

Apr 30, 2011
ADRESSING THE PROBLEM:
I have this 'bug' so now and then...... and I have found the 'problem' : it's the wifi connection between the accesspoint and the tab!
1) on my work no problem. device stays asleep. Router/accesspoint : Thomson
2) at home, downstairs..... problems. Randomly it wakes up. Router/accesspoint : D-Link
3) at home, 2nd floor no problem. Device stays asleep. Accesspoint : Sitecom

So I have adressed the problem to the D-link router. Then I tried different wireless settings in the wifi setup (b/g/n connections, wpa/wpa2/no sec) no luck. The search continues.

It's a first direction. Don't search in apps or something else because I can adress the problem to the router (type).

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
At home mine does this maybe once a night. At work, never happens either. I know it's the Wifi. Honestly, i dont mind. when it wakes up it goes back to sleep just a few seconds later. It's not often enough for me to care.

My Windows 7 gaming computer does it more often. At least the tab is quiet when it turns on. My computer scares the hell out of me when it roars up from a slumber by itself.

DForbes

Apr 25, 2011
ADRESSING THE PROBLEM:
I have this 'bug' so now and then...... and I have found the 'problem' : it's the wifi connection between the accesspoint and the tab!
1) on my work no problem. device stays asleep. Router/accesspoint : Thomson
2) at home, downstairs..... problems. Randomly it wakes up. Router/accesspoint : D-Link
3) at home, 2nd floor no problem. Device stays asleep. Accesspoint : Sitecom

So I have adressed the problem to the D-link router. Then I tried different wireless settings in the wifi setup (b/g/n connections, wpa/wpa2/no sec) no luck. The search continues.

It's a first direction. Don't search in apps or something else because I can adress the problem to the router (type).

Gian, good find!

I also have a dlink (newer gen) and wonder if its a permission issue. I am so sick of routers being so screwed up. I had a netgear for several years and the stupid thing kept losing access permission about ever 4 weeks and than i would need to reset the stupid thing. It seems like its always something stupid.

Dennis

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I don't have the A500 yet (getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger - maybe this week!), so I have a question that may seem obvious. I think I know the answer but just wanted to check.

Is Sleep mode where the A500 will shut down the display and some other functions after a period of inactivity? And I think that period is adjustable and can also be set up to never sleep. Then when it goes into that mode the problem people are reporting is that its waking up for no obvious reason.

On the other hand if you actually power it off using the power switch I assume the unit is TOTALLY OFF and NOTHING can happen until its powered on.

Is the above correct? I'm planning to get one and will be going to Europe and will have the unit in my carry-on, but powered off. I wouldn't want it to turn on all by itself during the time that you're not supposed to have any electronics on. I know it has an "airplane" mode but I would rather just power it off during the critical airplane times.

Thanks,
Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Gerry, You're correct. When it's off, it's off. What people are commenting on is when it wakes up suddenly from a sleep state, something it shouldn't do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum