Screen turning off and on when asleep?

Jento

May 2, 2011
I have this problem also, I found it easy to just switch it into airplane mode and then put it to sleep. Screen doesn't pop up and airplane mode is easily available from the menu.

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I have this problem also, I found it easy to just switch it into airplane mode and then put it to sleep. Screen doesn't pop up and airplane mode is easily available from the menu.

This is something ACER needs to address. Having to put it in "Airplane" mode is a "work around" not an answer. There should be a setting (that is off by default) that lets it "wake on notification."

Hopefully this is something that they will fix with the first firmware update.

A tablet with no internal ability to use 3G should not even have an "airplane" mode.

Cen5

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Gerry, You're correct. When it's off, it's off. What people are commenting on is when it wakes up suddenly from a sleep state, something it shouldn't do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Hi Raven312,

Thanks! That's what I thought. (I may be buying one this Thurs!!)

Gerry

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
Ditto on putting it in Airplane Mode. The screen doesn't light up. So it's one extra step before pushing the power button. Big deal.

Dart

May 2, 2011
I managed to deactivate every conceivable "notification" option in every app I could find. Not sure which one finally did it, but the damn thing doesn't flash anymore. I was surprised at the number of apps that notify by flashing.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Easiest way I found to prevent this is to disable background data.

settings>accounts & sync>uncheck background data

andromeda

Dec 27, 2010
Just noticed mine turning on and off today, too. I think it may be the weatherbug app updating too.

Rode

Apr 27, 2011
You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to put it in sleep mode. I returned it a got a Motorola Xoom. Have had it for three days now and not one problem it works perfectly. Cost me a little more but it was well worth it.

Jento

May 2, 2011
You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to put it in sleep mode. I returned it a got a Motorola Xoom. Have had it for three days now and not one problem it works perfectly. Cost me a little more but it was well worth it.

I wouldnt call it jumping through hoops...

Also, I will take this minor problem (atleast until an update fixes it) over not having a working MircoSD card slot or a full size USB port anyday...=P

MrBlippy

May 4, 2011
I came across this thread tonight as I, too, was searching for an answer to this annoying issue. I made an interesting observation while testing tonight and I wonder if others might be willing to confirm if I am onto something or losing my marbles.

What I Have:
Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
2 x Original Droid phones
1 x Droid X phone
1 x MacBook
1 x Dlink DIR-855 B/G/N Dual Band router running in G/N dual band mode

What I Have Observed:
I have a single SSID broadcast from my Dlink router. All my WiFi devices connect to this single SSID, though some devices are hard set to connect on the 5Ghz Wireless-N channel and some (phones primarily) connect via 2.4Ghz Wireless-G.

If I place my Iconia tablet into standby (turn screen off, WiFi set to never sleep), the screen stays off. However, every single time any one of my phones and/or MacBook connects to my SSID and pulls an IP address, the Iconia tablet screen turns on automatically. I can reproduce this with 100% success every time I cause one of my devices to join the router and pull an IP address.

At this point, I am too tired to start disabling apps on my tablet one by one to see what is causing this. If I had to take a somewhat educated guess, I would be willing to bet it has something to do with Clear.fi attempting to gather UPnP type information from a newly detected device on the LAN.

Anyway, if anyone feels like confirming or disproving my observation--have at it. Hopefully someone smarter than I can come to the ultimate conclusion as to the root cause of the issue soon.

Thanks!

Last edited:

lmferg80

May 8, 2011
Mine is doing the same thing. Since we bought it, we are having problems with our router. After about 20 mins the wireless messes up and I have to reset the router to get it up again. No problems with it before we started using A500.

xXPrOwLeRXx

May 10, 2011
I am also having this problem with no fix found. I tend to agree that disabling WiFi, or possibly Weather Bug (which is running in the BG) could potentially correct the problem ( I haven't yet tried). I have seen mine kick on and ask for my pin almost always when there is a new email or possibly when weather bug updates.

I would think this is a software issue not a hardware issue. My Elocity A7 would turn the WiFi off when in sleep mode and although it is on Froyo I never had an issue with the screen randomly turning on.

Turned of background updates and notifications on weatherbug and the issues went away really dont care if there is a temp notification in my notifications so this was the fix for me.

leach19m

May 18, 2011
I turned on the setting to switch off wifi when the screen sleeps and noticed it says to switch to mobile networks....which doesn't exist. And I noticed that it doesn't actually disconnect wifi. However, disabling weatherbug background updates abf rebooting seemed to do the trick, I'll keep watching to make sure though.

Nope. Didn't fix anything

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

richb9v

May 11, 2011
Mine does the same thing and has since I bought it. I also thing it is a software bug.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum