SD Card in Acer Iconia Tab A500

rhurter691

Jun 24, 2011
Hi all,
Newbie when it comes to tablets and having trouble getting used to android 3.1. I inserted a 16GB micro card. I believe the system looks at the card as an 'external' storage devise. When checking the system under 'storage it is recognize it but indicates about 1.5 gigs less than capacity. My problem is I do not know how to access and use it. I have downloaded a few programs claiming to move items to the card off of the internal memory. When I highlight the info or program I want to move I get a screen of data but the 'button' needed to move it does not come up or is not visable. The same program works on my smart home but not on my Acer tablet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Richard.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

w2k

Jul 10, 2011
I have the exact same problem. It recognizes the i ternal memory, but not the external micro sd.

rhurter691

Jun 24, 2011
My Acer A500 appears to recognize the external SD micro card, as I said, but other than providing me with a remaining capacity I find no where in the manual how to access it. I believe when I connected the tablet to my PC via the USB connection that my PC only recognized the internal card so what good is having the capability of up to a 32 GB additional micro card. I had hoped that one of the programs on the 'market icon that advertised the transfer capabilities would solve the problem. So far I haven't found one. Maybe the Acer site or forum can help.

rcmolski

Apr 4, 2011
The SD card is identified as External SD, the internal memory is also called an SD. You can only see the 'internal SD' when connected to the PC. The benefit of using the SD card is to put music, photos, videos on to save internal memory on your tablet.

None of the apps that are SD capable will transfer to your external SD card. That is not possible (right now?) on Honeycomb.

Hope this helps. This is my understanding of the system....if I have something wrong, please let me know.

Bob

rhurter691

Jun 24, 2011
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I took some photos with the tablet and they went directly to the internal SD card. So you are saying that the only use for the 16 gig or 32 gig external SD micro card is to add already taken pictures, video or music transferred from the PC! What a bummer! I'm assuming I can transfer photos and videos I take from the internal SD card into the computer than back off the computer onto the micro SD via the micro adapter connected to the pc. I can't see why a file manager program wouldn't be able to read both cards and transfer files back and forth! I'm starting to think this android system is crap! Thanks again. Richard

Feioj

Apr 17, 2011
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I took some photos with the tablet and they went directly to the internal SD card. So you are saying that the only use for the 16 gig or 32 gig external SD micro card is to add already taken pictures, video or music transferred from the PC! What a bummer! I'm assuming I can transfer photos and videos I take from the internal SD card into the computer than back off the computer onto the micro SD via the micro adapter connected to the pc. I can't see why a file manager program wouldn't be able to read both cards and transfer files back and forth! I'm starting to think this android system is crap! Thanks again. Richard

actually, within the camera app you can select to either save to internal sd or external sd, at least on the iconia you can. the option is on the lower right hand corner

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
For me, with flash drives, I use a program called es file explorer to access my flash drive and all of the data upon it. I would.d assume the same holds true with external SD cards (I haven't personally tried them, so cannot confirm). Once the external SD card is mounted, you'd need to navigate to the /mnt/<SD card drive> directory (where <SD card drive> is the name of your external SD card given by the system... which could change from one SD card to another). You should be able to copy files from/to your SD card using es file explorer (or any explorer like app for that matter).

kitafaya

Jul 23, 2011
I was wondering if you would be able to transfer files (pdf's) to the external sd card and still be able to read them through Adobe Reader/LumiRead?

Thanks,
--Kitafraya

llv_mech

Aug 25, 2011
I have a 32 gb card and I use filexpert and can move things back and forth from drive to drive but when connected to a win pc it will only see the internal

Julius

Nov 6, 2010
It has a flaw with this at the present time. There was an app I saw called mount all. I do not want to pay for this so I will wait until they release a fix.

Regards

JoeRebel

Aug 30, 2011
Hey. The answer is. Go to manage you're apps area in found in settings. Once there if you go to manage my apps you will then be sent to where the apps ate at work. There you will find third party apps you have; apps running, and all apps and their codes. Go to running apps and tap on each one. When u yap on it you see a new screen where it will allow you to force close it; or transfers it to SD card if it allows it. Otherwise get the SD card app.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

JoeRebel

Aug 30, 2011
Download 4Share u should be able to find that app there

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

bocuracao

Sep 6, 2011
I tried 3 different file managers before I found one that EASILY could copy/move files from my internal SD to the external (Acer Iconia A500). And that is File Manager HD (Honeycomb) which you find for free at the Market. The only trick was to first tap "multi" before you could select copy or move, also when you only want to manage one file.

Bluesman68

Sep 16, 2011
I use Astro File Manager in moving files from my internal storage to the sd card. How:

1. Open Astro File Manager
2. Tap the "Up" icon top of the screen so you're taken to the different drives in your Iconia
3. Select the drive where the file you want to transfer is located
4. Tap the menu icon at the bottom of the screen
5. tap "edit"
6. tap "select all", then tap on the files you WILL NOT transfer, leaving the files for transfer highlighted
7. tap "edit" again, then "copy"
8. tap "up" icon and go to the external_sd
9. Tap menu icon and select "paste"

Its a lot easier than how I posted it above. :) Goodluck! ;)

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
I was wondering if you would be able to transfer files (pdf's) to the external sd card and still be able to read them through Adobe Reader/LumiRead?

Thanks,
--Kitafraya

Yes, you can do that.

I have PDF files on my MicroSD Card copied from my laptop and was read by my ACER A500 by the Acrobat Reader.

I can also copy from/to SDCard as well.