Sd Card Mount Point modification discussion. Post-Root

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Finally received my 32GB Micro SDHC today.
Carefully followed marvin02 steps from Page 2 of this thread.

Worked like a charm.

29.71GB internal storage reported.

Last edited:

jondiehl

Dec 20, 2011
Quick question guys... I got my vTab from woot the other day, promptly rooted it and went out and got a PNY 32GB micro SD card today (class 10).

I followed the well written instructions from page 2 but can not seem to save my edits to the vold.fstab file at /system/etc/

I don't have Root Explorer, but can access the file using Astro and have edited it in there. When I pull it up with Astro's file editor, it asks me to save, which I confirm... but when I reopen the file it didn't save. I tried opening it using the ES Note Editor instead (also via Astro) and it gives me an error saying:

"Error occured when trying to save the file. It will not be saved."

Is this file read-only and something that only Root Explorer can edit successfully? Thanks!

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
Yea I had the same issue and opted to use root explorer as superuser permissions are required to write to that folder.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

qqq1

Dec 21, 2011
I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to go. I just got the vtab and did not move any apps since I had already read about this. I am rooted, update frozen with TB. I did not connect the vtab to my pc for steps 2-6. I copied the data and created the new "external" folder using root explorer. Is that not going to do it? I go /system/etc, make sure r/w is on, edit the vold.fstab file, save, restart. When I start back up my "sd card" is still my actual 8gb sd card and there is no "internal storage". I've restored the original vold.fstab, restarted, retried, same results. I verified the data and new external folder was created on the actual sd card. The real hack is just moving the /external line, right? I made sure I was doing it in the real code, not in the # area. What am I missing?

*Did the hack again following directions this time. Moved the data by connecting to a pc instead of doing it through root explorer. Now it's working. I should follow directions every time! Thanks.

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Is there any way that this will help with space for applications? I have been reading through the thread and its a great one but just wondering if this helps with installing more apps at all?

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Is there any way that this will help with space for applications? I have been reading through the thread and its a great one but just wondering if this helps with installing more apps at all?

Use Move2SD or something like this.
32Gb is way more than 2Gb initial space.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
O really apps to sd will work? That is great!

Why wouldn't it?
as far as Android system is concerned, your external SD card is now your internal SD card.
You just made your 2Gb device a 32Gb device.
not the same speed of course.
And don't take the card out without powering off your vtab.
Other than that..yes. All the apps that can be moved will be moved.
Just keep in mind they will not run faster, quite the contrary.

Last edited:

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
O really apps to sd will work? That is great!

Apps2Sd works only after making the mod discussed in this thread. Without the mod your apps are moved to the user space on the built in memory which is only 2.4 GB.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have done the mod and my external sd card now shows up as as my internal memory!! But for some reason the internal doesnt show up as external, when i check in settings it says external unknown. Does any buddy know what could have caused this?