SD Card Troubles

Benjaminernest

Dec 18, 2017
I have a RC6773W22B with a 5.0 version. The SD card is in and the tablet knows it's in, yet I still can't download apps onto the card. Any answers?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Since Android 4.4 Android has removed the ability to move apps to the MicroSD card. The MicroSD card is intended exclusively for your stuff and nothing else: music, books, videos, pictures, etc. APK files will be in /data/app, and games that have significant amounts of data will download an .obb file and place that in internal storage.

You may or may not be wondering why this was done. The answer is speed. A MicroSD card always reads slower than the onboard flash memory, because the MicroSD card address bus is smaller, creating a data I/O bottleneck.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
This is not something a new MicroSD card will fix, and is not broken in any event. This limitation is in Android itself and is by design. No version of Android from the last four years is going to have the ability to run apps from the MicroSD card.

Now if you choose to download APK files from APKMirror or FDroid and want to store those on your MicroSD, you certainly can do that. You can even install them from the MicroSD card with a decent file manager. But you cannot run the apps from the MicroSD card.

Your options are few. You can look into using an Apps to SD app, though I don't know how well those work given the fact running apps from the MicroSD is mostly extinct. Your other option is to find a tablet older than the one you have, and hope that all of your apps still function.

the-equalizer

Dec 20, 2017
That is not entirely true, I know that at least in version 7 you can go into settings and then apps and move them to the sd card 1 by 1. I haven't been able to do it automatically though.
Not sure if version 5 or 6 let you do the same.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I haven't seen that on my Galaxy S4, which up until about a month ago was running an AOSP Android 7.1.1 ROM. The only option available was to convert the MicroSD to Adaptable Storage. While it's possible there are apps that still use the feature, as noted I haven't seen any.