SD card..

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
OK , how does one put pics and music on their SD card so that its available to the Vtab? Does the card need to be formatted and if so, to what Fat32 or ?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Every Micro SD card I've purchased came formatted Fat32, which is what you want. I'd recommend at least a class 4 card and would get at least one with an SD adapter since most PCs don't have a slot for Micro SD cards. Just put the card into your PC and copy whatever you want on the tablet to the card.

Phish723

Oct 12, 2011
So if you want to add and epub book that you have on a flash you have to put onto the microSD then put the microSC in the tab?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Unless you can plug the flash directly into your tablet or you want to copy the epub into your internal memory, yes. Most people want to keep as much as they can out of internal memory.

Phish723

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks, that is what I thought but couldn't seem to get my sd card in but I will try again when I have more time. Thanks!

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
I have been using the standard app manager and moving all allowed apps to my SD card with no problems.I looked into some of the SD apps but they didn't seem to offer any more versatility that the standard one. If they do, maybe someone can tell me what more they can do.

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
You will find if you check, the apps have not actually moved, it will say they are moved but they aren't. It is an issue with the Vtab that needs to be addressed.

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
App2sd wil move aps to the internal sd on the system and not to your external sd card. Vizio made the tablet this way. Thats why if you open your file explorer the external sd is marked as external. Vizio for some odd reason decided this would be a smart move. Well it wasn't, hopefully all the vtab1008 owners will complain to vizi that we don't wish it to be this way so they'll fix it.

If u want music and pics on the external sd card. Move the music file and the dcim file to your external sd card. I have done this myself and yes the tablet will recognize these files and read from them Instead.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
App2sd wil move aps to the internal sd on the system and not to your external sd card. Vizio made the tablet this way. Thats why if you open your file explorer the external sd is marked as external. Vizio for some odd reason decided this would be a smart move. Well it wasn't, hopefully all the vtab1008 owners will complain to vizi that we don't wish it to be this way so they'll fix it.

If you want music and pics on the external sd card. Move the music file and the dcim file to your external sd card. I have done this myself and yes the tablet will recognize these files and read from them Instead.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

I called Vizio Tech support today to get this confirmed and after a long wait in the phone, the tech support person acknowledge this limitation. I then pleaded with them to tell the Vizio development team to get this fixed. Perhaps we can get other VTAB users to call in and express the same message?

If this does not get fixed, this might be a "deal killer for me". Good thing I bought this from Costco (good return policy). In my opinion, having only a 2GB limit for apps won't meet most people's needs. For example, I wanted to purchase/load a GPS program but the maps take over 1.5GB. So basically, unless I remove all my other programs, I won't be able to do this.

I have only loaded a few of may favorite programs (bible programs, some games, some sports new apps, etc.) and I am already near the 2GB limit.

Having the ability to add a micro SDcard expansion without having the ability to run programs from it is somewhat useless. Yeah, you can store your movies and music, but most of my storage comes from actual programs.

VIZIO VTAB development team...if you read these forums, please get this fixed ASAP. The VTAB has the potential to be a great tablet (at any price) but many of the functions like Bluetooth and micro SD card expansion are not implemented in a way that makes it useful.

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
I just e-mailed Vizio about this issue, this will be a very nice tablet if they get this issue resolved, if they dont I will be returning it.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
I just e-mailed Vizio about this issue, this will be a very nice tablet if they get this issue resolved, if they dont I will be returning it.

Great idea. I did the same. I suggest that all the Vizio users out there do this also.

Here is the link:
Ask a Question

Perhaps if enough users indicate that this is a "deal killer" they might make it a priortiy to address this in the next OTA update.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
droid_dude,

It isn't so much not being able to rum programs from the user installed card that eats up the space - it is the data from programs like a navigation app (maps) or your bible program.

This is not entirely the fault of Vizio, while it is a standard practice in Android programming for apps to use the /sdcard mount point for data after doing some research I found that it is not a standard. App devs could include a setting to allow users to place the data in a user defined location. This would also solve the issue and woudl work on other devices that mount internal storage at the /sdcard mount point. For navigation I am using Co-Pilot because it allows you to download region maps which are much smaller than the entire US map.

The advantage to using the internal storage is that it is faster and your apps will run even if your user installed SD Card is removed.

I also called Vizio about this issue and had a hard time making the person I spoke to understand the issue.

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
So..do other android devices allow you to transfer apps to the SD card or is it also app specific?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Yes, you can move apps on other devices. It's also app specific, I've seen apps that state in their description whether on not they can be placed on an SD card.

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
Yes, you can move apps on other devices. It's also app specific, I've seen apps that state in their description whether on not they can be placed on an SD card.

The issue is with me anyhow that the apps that can be moved say they are moved when you move them but if you actually check they arent moved.