SD card..

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
The issue is with me anyhow that the apps that can be moved say they are moved when you move them but if you actually check they arent moved.

They are moved - from the system internal storage to the system user storage. They aren't moved to a user installed sd card.

The way Vizio set up the 4 gigs of internal storage part of it is for the system and part is user space. The problem is that they mount the user space at /sdcard.

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
I understand they are moved but they are not moved to the external sd card, that is an issue that i dont care for.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
I submitted an enhancement request to Vizio support as well (reference #111014-000029). If I don't get a response within a certain amount of time, I'll follow up with a call.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
My request details:
Please consider this as an enhancement request for the vtab.

We would like for the sdcard to be mounted at /sdcard so we can use it to transfer market apps.

Unfortunately, the 2GB internal memory is mounting to that mount point rather than the external sdcard. I have a 32GB external sdcard that I can not utilize for storing & running market apps. The internal 2GB gets gobbled up quickly which limits my user experience.

Please speak with the dev team about a possible solution that allows tablets to mount the external sdcard to /sdcard IF the device detects one installed. If not, the let the internal memory be mounted to /sdcard.

###################################

Vizio's response:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

I apologize we were not able to better accommodate you.
VIZIO is always willing listen to its customers.
We appreciate the feedback and I will be more than happy to pass this along .

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 1-888-849-4623 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sarah Baxter
VIZIO -The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946

#################################################

Let's hope they take some positive action in the near future.

timothyh

Aug 23, 2011
Yesterday I did what you did starting with an email, chat with both responding that I should call. Spoke with a representative, and was told that this was a typical android problem. I asked if all tablets running 2.3 acted this way and was told yes. Said that apps were moved to sd card with a small amount remaining in internal memory. Very polite and informative, but I really don't think he got it. Maybe my fault not explaining the problem correctly. I would suggest you call and speak with a representative since your post is well explained. I would be very interested in hearing what they say.
thanks
tim

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I spent 45 minutes explaining this to a Vizio rep. I even walked him through the steps and supposedly he took the SD Card out of the unit he had and could not see any files from apps "moved to SD". I also gave him the url of this forum and pointed out that some users were returning their VTABs due to this issue.

This sounds like one of those situations where the app devs and the device manufacturers will point at each other and say "it's their fault." Either party could fix it the part of it dealing with app data. The app devs could give the users a setting to choose where to store the app data (sich as maps for nav apps) and the device manufacturer could give the users the option of where to mount the user installed sd card (which would fix apps2sd and where data goes).

Using the file system mount point of /sdcard is the Android default for apps2sd AFAIK, but there is NO standard for where apps put data. The use of /sdcard has grown to be a standard practice that is not defined in the coding API (well I couldn't find any info on it).

This issue really bugs me and while the customer service reps may not understand the issue and want to read you the Android steps to move apps2sd from a list - there MUST be a software engineer somewhere that does understand. This hasn't changed because they don't want to change it. I have no idea why.

I can see an issue with an inexperienced user moving apps2sd or having app data on an SD Card and then calling Vizio because their tablet "broke", but supporting those who don;t understand their devices before you support the ones who do may result in fewer calls from customers who can't get the darn thing to work, but doesn't do much else.

My solution would be to have a prompt ask you on first start up or on a reset how you want to use the filesystem. I would leave the current set up as the default and have an option for advanced users (really just informed users) to use the entire built in storage and SD Card like many Android phones do. If you are going to limit apps and most app data to internal storage then you need more than 4 GB total.

Have I said that this issue really bugs me?

Last edited:

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
I agree this really bugs me as well, I wish it would work like my Droid 1, well hopefully in the future either someone will either root this thing or Vizio will finally get what we are talking about.

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
I agree this really bugs me as well, I wish it would work like my Droid 1, well hopefully in the future either someone will either root this thing or Vizio will finally get what we are talking about.

It took me about 2 minutes after installing my user external sd to recognize there was a problem. I'm in disbelief that Vizio can't, or won't recognize this as a problem. Why they would go to market with a device that is grossly undersized from an internal storage perspective and then not provide a way to utilize an external sd for apps is beyond my comprehension. Especially, when they otherwise thought things through reasonably well.

They had to have known that users would fill the internal storage. Why else provide the micro sd expansion slot. But if you can't use it for apps you have essentially bought yourself an expensive ereader and universal remote.

I've past the point of being able to return mine, but I would do so in a heart beat if I could. This is unexceptable even for a value tablet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
... if you can't use it for apps you have essentially bought yourself an expensive ereader and universal remote.
Sadly, and unfortunately, it's not really a very good universal remote. At least no yet.

I emailed Vizio about the SD card mount point problem, explaining the nature of the problem and its potential impact, and included a URL to this thread, either yesterday or Thursday.

Little did I know, at the time, it'd bite me quite so soon. I'm currently installing the most detailed Locus U.S. map the VTAB will hold, and it's only about halfway down the list, detail-wise.

Jim

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
Ok, help me understand (back to basics) a true external microSD card when installed only currently holds media files? Pics, audio and video but not apps like my Droid 2 currently does correct?

If so that is completely stupid but until fixed (hopefully) I want to understand how I can use it.
Thanks!

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
ktackel, yes that is my understanding. The micro SDcard can be used to hold video, music and photo files but no apps. The way the current VTAB is designed, it creates a "virtual SDcard" that uses the 2BG on internal storage.

So when you load or move apps to the SDcard is is actually not going to an external micro SDcard that you might have installed, it gets stored on the "2GB virtual partition". Hence, the problem, having only 2GB of storage for apps severely limits this tablet.

I disagree with the VTAB tech support people that say that this "virtual SDCard" is the way that all other android devices do it. I have a 1st generation Motorola Droid 1 (almost 2 years old) and it does not have this limitation. Also, I have a Nook Color without this limitation. Both run 2.3 Android Froyo like the VTAB.

Last edited:

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, that is what I thought but it was in multiple posts so I was just trying to summarize.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
If an app has a setting allowing you to specify where data is stored then you can specify a folder on the user installed sd card for data. Not many apps do this.