SD Card

JDJ13

Jul 16, 2011
Greetings. I am a newbie. I have a Vokey Samsung 2.3 gingerbread tablet. It has capacity for up to 32gb sd cards. I have put in a 16gb one. When checking storage it says there is only about 3gb available. Has anyone had a similar experience? Can anyone advise what I need to do to get the full 16gb? Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you sure the full 16GB is available? for example if you put it into a pc card reader does the full size show up? You may need to format the card for the full size to be available.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Where did you buy the 16gb card and brand of card. It is a possibility that its a fake 16gb card. There are some fake ones going around. Especially if you buy them on ebay. Some will even show as the listed gb that you think you bought but devices will only be able to use what space they really have.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
Are we allowed to use this thread for SD card questions in general? I'd rather ask here than to start a whole thread for just one question:

Can someone tell me about Card Class? I had no idea SD's had classes and then someone turned around and said that if I'm going to save movies onto them then I should use a class 6 or higher. What does that mean? What is the difference. From what I read on wikipedia, it's sort of like a camera's shutter speed, is that a correct comparison?
And should I use class 6 or does someone recommend a higher class?

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas for the original question.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
The class of sd card donates the speed of the card in mb per second. A class 2 card has 2 mb per second, 4 has 4 mb per sec. and so on. For playing games and watching movies off a sd card the higher the better. A class 4 or 6 is usually plenty for tablets.

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
JDJ, first step is finding out how much memory was on the card to start with. If you put it in a card reader and look at propertys, it will tell you the used and unused size. Did you get it new or from a private party?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Kackalakin

Feb 11, 2012
You were right on my sandisk miceosd card its a class 4 . Quite useful information too about the mbps.

Sent from my Full Android on S5PV210

dogtag1968

Oct 18, 2011
Look in your settings again, just to make sure that the available 3gb of storage isn't what's left of your internal storage space of your tablet. The SD card will be shown seperately.

Mar 17, 2012
Does anyone know of a reason my Acer Iconia a500 tablet won't recognize my external micro sd card ? It worked fine when I first got the tablet . Now it don't show that a sd card is even in the sd card slot . Anyone's help would be appreciated . Thanks Eric