SD Cards - Check and Compare speeds, Optimize

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
writespeedonly.png
readspeedonly.png

The above images are taken from my test on the 2 GB SD card that came bundled with my Le Pan 1 tablet.

We have been talking (in other threads, another forum) about how to benchmark (test speeds) or how to optimize (increase speed) on SD card use.

Anyone can run a benchmarking tool, they simply read and write to the SD card and measure the throughput. At the very least, you can find out how well your card is performing.

Users with Root access on their devices can do more, as we discussed here, there are simple tools that allow you to increase data speeds.

The main limiter is WRITE speed, saving data to the card, writting new files like pics, downloads, copied videos etc. The cards are sold and labelled by Class, each class being guaranteed to work at a certain speed.

If you paid more for a higher speed card, benchmarking it makes sure it's kosher and running like it should. Class 4 cards should have WRITE speeds above 4 MB/s. Class 6, above 6 MB/s, and so on. Current top speeds are the Class 10, and there are fakes out there, so buyer beware. ;)

* How do I Benchmark my card?

Easy - head on to the Market and get this app:

UhJyuUgd2E1AgnItF4KDbCalzgGwGutTiXxrkJ1yc8HmEcKJZI7dZoaD65lgQ8nT2cv-=w78-h78
SD Tools, by VELUSCEK ALES.

Free, small, saves your results to a graphics file if you chose to do so. Nice work, recommended. Root NOT Required, as this is jsut a performance measuring tool.

Once installed, it will run, and display the results graphically You can choose to save that, it creates a .png file on the /SDtools folder in your card. All files are labelled with date/time of the test, so you won't overwrite the older test by mistake.

I trimmed and cropped my test result file, to make it fit here better - as the Forums have a more Horizontal orientation, while SD Tools creates a more phone-like vertical image.

Here's the original, shrunken down so it doesn't take too much room :

fulltestresultfo.png

* How do I Optimize my card? Can it be Done?

It depends - If you have Root access in your phone, tablet device, you CAN run a small tool that allows tweaking the speeds. Then you can repeat the benchmarking, and compare results, maybe tweak it again, retest, etc. Things that Geeks like to do. :p

Currently, Le Pan 1 owners can enjoy Root access and completely own their devices, as it should be. LPII, there's no rooting yet, the manufacturer tried to make that as hard as possible to obtain; but people are working on it.

Have a rooted/supported device? You need this :

yann2 said:
To improve performance on your SD card read and write operations, you can use an app that increases the ram buffers for card read/write. THIS REQUIRES ROOT access. I found a nice app on the XDA Dvelopers forum that does jsut that. Tested and working on my rooted LP1.
cJpvG0MRnzGDur2JB2eJQ_tXV8RHnuQBjmefdagK21aMApx3rH2IRgwkQO-Dv0eSIg=w124
SD-Booster, by Daniel Mehrmann (Akusari).

Thumbs up! ;)

* How do I Report my Results?

You can post here in this thread. Since screenshots are LARGE images, please post in text only, writing down the following info. Copy this down as a template, then paste in your post, fill in info. Saves time. ;) :

SD Card Brand/size :
Rated Class.......... :
Write Speed......... :
Read Speed.......... :
Tablet Model......... :

It will look neat and aligned in your post - I just tested, it looks good.

* Can I see some Results?

Sure, here is my own 2 GB card:

SD Card Brand/size : Sandisk 2 GB, bundled with LP1
Rated Class.......... : not labelled
Write Speed......... : 7.4 MB/s
Read Speed.......... : 17.7 MB/s
Tablet Model......... : Le Pan 1

And the internal memory of my wife's Archos tablet - which is seen as SD as well:

SD Card Brand/size : Archos 101T tablet internal storage, 8 GB
Rated Class.......... : not rated
Write Speed......... : 9.5 MB/s [after tweak - 9.8 MB/s]
Read Speed.......... : 15.1 MB/s [after tweak - 22.4 MB/s]
Tablet Model......... : Archos 101T

What about yours? What speeds are you getting? Could you improve them?

Let us know! :)

Last edited:

pogoj

Dec 28, 2011
Great new thread yann2!

My results:

SD Card Brand/size: Transcend 16GB
Rated Class: 10
Write Speed: 8.9 MB/s
Read Speed: 17.1 MB/s
Tablet Model: Le Pan TC970 (not rooted)

As you can see, a type 10 card does not make much difference in read/write speeds.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks, pogoj. :)

I have a 16 GB card too, Class 10 according to the vendor, but not writing at 10 MB/s as it should. :(

SD Card Brand/size : Patriot LX 16 GB

Rated Class.......... : Class 10
Write Speed......... : 6.0 MB/s [after tweak] :(
Read Speed.......... : 18.4 MB/s [after tweak]
Tablet Model......... : Le Pan 1

Good thing to test, you might be able to get a replacement, I might do that with mine - Patriot LX Class 10, retail package and all, from a reputable seller (Amazon.ca).

The Test screenshot can help, attach it to the message if you are complaining to the seller.

EDIT : I just changed the text template to a Quote format, now you should be able to copy it easily.

Mark with mouse, right click, copy. Start your reply, go to message editor, right click, paste and you get :

SD Card Brand/size :
Rated Class.......... :
Write Speed......... :
Read Speed.......... :
Tablet Model......... :

...ready for filling in your results. :)

Also, a user at another forum responded to my original thread there, he also has a Patriot Class 10 SD card - and it's NOT performing to spec either.

harujk said:
SD Card Brand/size : patriot signature 16GB
Rated Class.......... : 10
Write Speed......... : 7.9
Read Speed.......... : 17.8
Tablet Model......... :[

Might be a red flag, avoiding the Patriot brand could save you grief trying to return a lemon, underperforming card.

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Some news to report on the SD card front.

I saw an offer for Sandisk 8 GB Class 4 microSDHC cards, went and got one. For only $12, a nice deal; the 16 GB was at $20.

Also found a card reader, only $2 on dollar store; handy to copy files to SD via pc or laptop.

While I am not able to mount the card on CM7 Gingerbread Beta :(, I decided to try and see if I could boot into recovery from it.

Previously, only my le pan provided 2 GB Sandisk card worked for that. The Patriot 'Class 10' 16 GB card gives 'Firmware File is Bad! All Your Base are Belong to US!' message. :p

Success - loaded ClockWorkMod files into the new 8 GB card (FAT32), rebooted tablet, and it went into CWM straight.

Yes! One more card I can use for firmware installs, nandroid backups, etc. :)

Would love to benchmark this card, but CM7 don't play nice with SD yet, so no go. Will report results when available. ;)

KnottyPanda

Feb 4, 2012
So I downloaded the speed test app and when I got the new micro sd card, I tested both out and I am even more confused. Trying to decide if I got a bad card or not. The results are as follows:

SD Card Brand/size : Sandisk 2GB that came with the Le Pan
Rated Class.......... : n/a
Write Speed......... : 10.0 MB/s
Read Speed.......... : 14.9 MB/s
Tablet Model......... : Le Pan tc970

and

SD Card Brand/size : Samsung 16GB
Rated Class.......... : 10
Write Speed......... : 6.2
Read Speed.......... : 13.1
Tablet Model......... : Le Pan tc970

I've done the tests a few other times and this is the most recent. To me, from what I've read, this means the 2GB I got with my tablet is better than the one I just bought. Is this correct and what does this mean for this card? Is it just a class 6 really?
UPDATE: I went ahead and am returning it to Amazon. After reading newer reviews, Samsung has been contacted about this card and it is fraudulent.

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
I've done the tests a few other times and this is the most recent. To me, from what I've read, this means the 2GB I got with my tablet is better than the one I just bought. Is this correct and what does this mean for this card? Is it just a class 6 really?

UPDATE: I went ahead and am returning it to Amazon. After reading newer reviews, Samsung has been contacted about this card and it is fraudulent.
You got lucky with the 2 GB Le Pan card, that is performing as a Class 10 card. Wow.

The other one, the Samsung is class 6, like you said. My Patriot, retail packaged Class 10, purchased from Amazon is also underperforming. :(

Sandisk seems to be the way to go, earlier this week I bought an 8 GB Class 4, and got :

SD Card Brand/size : Sandisk 8 GB
Rated Class.......... : Class 4
Write Speed......... : 4.8 MB/s
Read Speed.......... : 10.3 MB/s
Tablet Model......... : Le Pan TC970

MrFurius

Feb 23, 2012
Ok, I guess I just got lucky. The 2GB SD card that came with my Le Pan 1 TC 970 clocks in at 14-14.5 MB/s write speed regularly. I have tried a SANDISK class4 card that ran at 7-7.5 MB/s write speed and my tablet just dragged. Returned it. I assumed that I needed a faster card, but now I am not so sure. I assume that if I can clock the stock card that high, that the tablet can make use of that speed and is not limited by its bus/backplane/whatever. So I ordered a class 10 card from Amazon Basics to check it out. It runs 7-7.5 MB/s. I checked the reviews on this card and several people raved about write speeds 15+ MB/s. So here is my question: Is it just random chance if you get a SD card that overperforms/underperforms its class rating, is it a manufacturing limitation, or is there a configuration limitation happening here?

I have seen in another thread where someone had to partition their card with a <2GB section in order to perform some functions. I have asked for a replacement card from Amazon and will post back if it performs similarly to the one I had already received. Meanwhile I will tinker (partition) with the one they already sent and retest to see if I get different results. I would love to replicate the write speed on my original card, but am now pessimistic. I certainly hope I didn't just get lucky with that original card. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
unfortunaly i can't use it because of i have no root access, but looks like its good one.

Slimshady, you couldn't run the speed optimizer tool, but you can benchmark (test speed) of your existing cards.

Make sure you get the speed you are paying for. ;)

MrFurious, I will reply to you in detail later, at lunch break. I have never seen someone report the Le Pan 2 GB card writing at that speed - could you do a test with the tool linked above?

It would be an incredible card if it does. Congrats in that case! :)

MrFurius

Feb 23, 2012
$matsunichi tc970 (wi-fi) 2012-03-02 18-37-06.pngOK, so here's the deal. I have attached a pic of the results from the 2 GB SD card that came with my Le Pan TC970. Crazy, right? I am now convinced that I just got super lucky with that card and don't think I will be able to match them on a 16 GB card on the cheap (the 2 I tried both came in at under 10MB/s). But I also found out that I don't really care as I believe that a 7-8 MB/s write speed is just fine and is not actually a significant bottleneck for the tablet. I tried partitioning - no change in speed. I did some additional testing and I think my original speed issues were a total result of weak WiFi signal while testing. The antenna on the Le Pan is not great, but will do for my needs and so will the SD card I ended up with - a Amazon Basics "class 10" (yeah, right) 16GB card. Anyone else get a crazy fast card with their tablet? I would also be curious to see if people have gotten over 10MB/s with a big card and the if results I that I got were just poorly manufactured/mislabeled cards. Cheers.

Original:
SD Card Brand/size: Default card - 2GB
Rated Class: ?
Write Speed: 14.6 MB/s
Read Speed: 14.2 MB/s

Upgraded:
SD Card Brand/size: Amazon Basics 16GB
Rated Class: 10
Write Speed: 7.8 MB/s
Read Speed: 15.1 MB/s

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks, MrFurius,

The Le Pan provided 2 GB card is a fast one indeed. You got the best cookie in the jar it seems. :)

Class 6 and higher work, and Class 10 seems to be hyped by many manufacturers - buyer beware, test your speed.