SD not showing any space left

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Just helped root and cwr my fiance's NC. Now it shows zero space left on his currently installed 2 gb SD card. I know I've seen posts mentioning this issue and how to fix it, but can't find them now. Do we need to reformat the card?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
could be bad partitions or bad format or just a bad read. try resetting it first, then try reformatting

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
could be bad partitions or bad format or just a bad read. try resetting it first, then try reformatting

But definitely do not hotswap the card or that could mess it up. Make sure you soft-eject it first through the settings

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just helped root and cwr my fiance's NC. Now it shows zero space left on his currently installed 2 gb SD card. I know I've seen posts mentioning this issue and how to fix it, but can't find them now. Do we need to reformat the card?

jonesy, if you are talking about the card used to autonooter yes you need to reformat it. When you burn the autonooter image to the card it repartitions the card and makes it look as though it has no space. Since the autonooter card is only good once (the first time you use it on a stock device) you need to reformat it to get the space back and use it as a data card.

If this is another card your are using the same still applies if it isn't showing full size. Make sure your nook is already booted (won't boot if you try with an autonootered card installed) insert the card, go into settings, unmount the card and format. This should bring it back to full size.

JP

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
This is the same card we used for his auto nooter. We deleted the auto nooter file, but the SD card is still titled "autonooter". I had a feeling we were supposed to format it, but he didn't listen. So now we have the cwr files on the card, and that's it.

So I can unmount, format from within the NC. And then we'll just have to redo cwr over again, right? Not a big deal ;-)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
yes. sorry, didn't realize it was your autonooter card. nice catch JP!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This is the same card we used for his auto nooter. We deleted the auto nooter file, but the SD card is still titled "autonooter". I had a feeling we were supposed to format it, but he didn't listen. So now we have the cwr files on the card, and that's it.

So I can unmount, format from within the NC. And then we'll just have to redo cwr over again, right? Not a big deal ;-)

Yup, just format it in the nook. Then you will have a clean full size card.

Not sure when you say you put CWR on the card if you mean you created a bootable CWR SD or just that you added the CWR zip file for installing by flashing the zip. A bootable CWR SD is handy but not necessary particularly if you intend on installing CWR internally.

Since you are now rooted you don't need to have the CWR zip on the card (version should be 3.0.1 or higher) but it might be a good idea if there is an issue installing CWR from ROM Manager. Here is the quick summary of the steps to install CWR from ROM Manager once booted into the rooted nook.

Make sure there are no bootable SD cards installed in the Nook and boot up.
Once you have wifi access and market access go to Market and install ROM Manager.
In ROM Manager select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
Select "Nook Color" (not old)
Reboot.
All done.

To make backups install OC kernels or flash new ROMs:
Open ROM Manager select "Reboot into Recovery"

If after making a backup you get stuck in a bootloop (not a freeze after a ddalvik wipe) where it keeps rebooting into CWR then use the 3.0.1 or newer CWR zip file you saved to the card and flash it from the Clockwork Recovery menu that you are stuck booting to. This should break the boot loop and allow a normal boot.

JP

Last edited:

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
JP, the intention was to have cwr installed in the NC and not on SD card (just so we could block 1.2 updates) , but when we tried to select flash clockwork, ROM manager displayed a pop-up: SD card must be inserted. We didn't get stuck in boot loop on his like we did on mine. Now I'm concerned that the cwr isn't anywhere on our Nooks, but instead on the SD cards. How can I verify?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JP, the intention was to have cwr installed in the NC and not on SD card (just so we could block 1.2 updates) , but when we tried to select flash clockwork, ROM manager displayed a pop-up: SD card must be inserted. We didn't get stuck in boot loop on his like we did on mine. Now I'm concerned that the cwr isn't anywhere on our Nooks, but instead on the SD cards. How can I verify?

I don't know that I ever tried without the SD card, so maybe it is a requirement to flash CWR. Insert the SD card and try flashing from ROM Manager again.

To verify that CWR is installed internally:

After flashing CWR from ROM Manager power down.
Power on and go to ROM Manager and select Reboot into Recovery.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
CWR requires a SD Card for its backup...that's all...you can actually move those files form the SD card before you reformat it, do your format, then move the files back...

:)