SD vs SDHC2

Dougahole1

Mar 20, 2013
I was going to buy a 32 gig SDHC2 card and then I read a disclaimer that said I should check to make sure that my tablet will take a SDHC2 card. I have the Vizio 8" VTAB1008. Can anyone help

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

AFAIK, there are only the following cards:
SD - Cards up to 3.9 GB in size, formatted for FAT
SDHC - Cards from 4 GB in size up to 32 GB in size, formatted for FAT32
SDXC - Cards larger than 32 GB (Typically 64 and 128 GB for now), formatted for exFAT.

Most Android devices can read FAT32 (I believe it is actually all of them...) The format of the card is more important than the actual size. You can format a SDXC for FAT32 using a 3rd party format tool in windows and it will work just the same as a SDHC, but will not officially comply to the SDXC standard.

I have never heard of a SDHC2 card, googling for it finds more of 2-in-1 readers so I think it is a typo on the webpage myself.

I would say it is 99.9% safe to get a 32 GB SDHC card for your tablet.

Oct 10, 2011
Nice explanation Frederuco. The only thing I could come up with is the possibility he was seeing a Class 2 SDHC card. The class rating determines the speed of a card with higher numbers supporting faster data transfers.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Aye, that's a good point. I'd do a class 4, 6 or 10 card myself. Class 2 can be a bit slow at times, especially for HD video playback.

Dougahole1

Mar 20, 2013
OK I got the card. Now, do I have to format it? and do i need special software for that. Thanks, a real newbie for sure. Getting older but trying to keep the brain running smooth

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
You shouldn't have to format it, every card I've ever bought came pre-formatted. If it's not, the tablet will likely offer to format it for you.