SDcard looses data and format

velizet

Nov 1, 2011
Hi,

This is the second time that the 4 GB Sandisk SDcard was unreadable in the Nook and in the PC without any apparent reason while my nook was just sitting on top of the table. SDCard is only a few months old.

I lost all my backups, installed data, and all.

Is this something common, and what would be best practices for me to keep my data intact.

Thanks for answers

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not common at all. It is possible you had two bad cards however improbable. Best practice would be to make your backup and then copy that file to the PC. You can always put that backup copy back onto any card and then restore from it.

Also what kind of card is it? Just data? If it is a bootable card the expected result is that it would not be readable in the PC and only the boot partition would be readable, making it look like the rest of the card had somehow become inaccessible.

velizet

Nov 1, 2011
Not common at all. It is possible you had two bad cards however improbable. Best practice would be to make your backup and then copy that file to the PC. You can always put that backup copy back onto any card and then restore from it.

Also what kind of card is it? Just data? If it is a bootable card the expected result is that it would not be readable in the PC and only the boot partition would be readable, making it look like the rest of the card had somehow become inaccessible.

Thanks, it was just data. I had to format it in PC and then it is usable again.

KaiserJeep

Nov 14, 2011
That card is BAD HARDWARE. If it's still under warranty, exchange it. If not, replace it and throw it away.

velizet

Nov 1, 2011
Hi,

Well, it is a wide shot, but I was reading an ebook from the sdcard with FBReader when I left the NC to sleep, and I was getting SOD's. Can it be that SOD is the culprit?

velizet

Nov 1, 2011
Hi,

Well, it is a wide shot, but I was reading an ebook from the sdcard with FBReader when I left the NC to sleep, and I was getting SOD's. Can it be that SOD is the culprit?

Update: SOD happened again, corrupting the SDCard again.

I am using CM7.1 on emmc, and this is the story:

I was using the twitter on wifi, and before putting the NC away, to preserve power and not to have SOD, I turned the screen off with the power switch (not power off).

Wifi policy was: "stop wifi when screen is off".

Next time I tried to use the NC, I saw I had the SOD, and after the reboot, SD card was not available.I could not read the card in the PC, I could not quick format it.

After formatting the SDcard, the problem is solved. But the data is gone..

Thats all for now.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
If you buy cards from unreliable sources or bulk package, you basically buying what they call ghost memory cards. They say they have the memory and can even read like they do when inserted, but they don't really have the space it. Never buy bulk packages SD card or from shady vendors.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Update: SOD happened again, corrupting the SDCard again.

I am using CM7.1 on emmc, and this is the story:

I was using the twitter on wifi, and before putting the NC away, to preserve power and not to have SOD, I turned the screen off with the power switch (not power off).

Wifi policy was: "stop wifi when screen is off".

Next time I tried to use the NC, I saw I had the SOD, and after the reboot, SD card was not available.I could not read the card in the PC, I could not quick format it.

After formatting the SDcard, the problem is solved. But the data is gone..

Thats all for now.

Turn off wifi when not is use or better yet, power completely down. I have never had a SOD by doing that. :)

velizet

Nov 1, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but whats an SOD?

SOD is sleep of death. It has something to do with wifi activity when the tablet is not in use. When you have SOD, the tablet does not turn on. You have to power off, and power on again.

To power off, you have to long-press the power button, and then long-press again so that the tablet boots up again.