Secure Erase Tab GT-P1000

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note/Tab' started by tabman5050, Feb 18, 2012.

1. tabman5050

tabman5050 Member

Hi There

I bought a Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 2 weeks ago. Overall, a great device, however mine appears to suffer from some serious battery problems - the battery meter regularly drops from 50% to 3% in one minute. After doing some research, this would appear to be a relatively common problem, so I've decided I need to return the device to the store that I purchased it in.

My question is how do I securely delete my personal data from the device? Does the 'factory restore' feature securely delete data, or simply hide it? I'd hate to think I return the device to the store, and they then resell it as 'refurbished' to some creep then pulls all my banking passwords off it, using a piece of software.

Thanks
    TabMan5050

2. jimbo7630

jimbo7630 Guest

Factory Restore SHOULD delete everything but as with a PC HDD deleting doesn't mean permanent erasure, tools exist to recover deleted data (but I have no idea if this can be done on tablets)

3. tabman5050

tabman5050 Member

Hi Jimbo

Thanks for the quick reply. I was recently a victim of online fraud, so am very wary of returning the item, if a piece of software can retrieve all my details in seconds!

Cheers
    TabMan5050

4. jimbo7630

jimbo7630 Guest

I find Battery meters to be totally inaccurate, maybe you should do a test, leaving the Tab running 'til the Battery dies -that would be infinitely more indicative of how long it lasts!.

5. tabman5050

tabman5050 Member

Hi Jimbo

I'm afraid I've got quite a well documented issue - the battery can be at 50% one minute, 3% the next. Turn it back on, and then it's at 30%. I'm afraid to say that the machine is knackered - paid quite a lot of money for it too!

I've drained it down to zero, but I had to sit turning the thing on and off for hours - I really deserve a replacement!

TabMan5050

6. jimbo7630

jimbo7630 Guest

Yep, I think the Battery is knackered, remains to be seen if they can replace it without it disappearing from your sight!