Security on Mobile Devices

hecate

Nov 25, 2011
Have been concerned about security on the SYTABEX7-2; there doesn't seem to be any anti-malware apps here. Thought some might find the following article interesting and would love comments by savvy users here, especially the warnings about using app stores other than either Android Mkt. or Amazon Market (the latter sounds like it might work on this tab?).

10 WAYS TO COMBAT THE THREAT OF MOBILE MALWARE
Mobile malware is on the rise, but user awareness is lagging behind. These preventive measures can help safeguard mobile devices. 10 ways to combat the threat of mobile malware | TechRepublic

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Last edited:

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Plus 1 for Lookout, is one of the best out there. Protects your device 24-7 and scans everything you download. SeekDroid is another very useful app with remote lock/wipe and the ability to hide itself once installed. You can also track the device by remotely turning on the gps (if available) to locate it.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

hecate

Nov 25, 2011
There are anti-malware apps available on both markets if you feel you need one.

Thanks, Spider. But I thought that unless we root this thing (SYTABEX7-2) and jump through the hoops to try to get the market working, we're restricted to SlideMe? Will the Amazon Mkt. install with no hoops? Bear with me, I'm new ;).

hecate

Nov 25, 2011
@ Hecate, as for as the Sylvania tablets and SlideMe are concerned, I'm new too. If you go to Amazon.com: Appstore for Android and look about 3" down in the right hand column, you'll see instructions for installing the Amazon Appstore. If you can't do that, I see it's available on SlideMe @ SlideME | Android Apps Market: Download Free & Paid Android Applications :cool:

Thanks, Spider, I'll check both out. Not sure why there's so much posted here about doing all kinds of things to try to get Android Mkt. working on these if it's that simple ;). Amazon Appstore has a ton of stuff. It's SlideMe that seems very weak, plus I'm not as trusting of it as I am of Amazon ;).