Senior Citizen Newbie Needs Help!

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
I'm new to the forum, so hope this is in the right section.

I recently purchased (from eBay) a Google Android 4.0 7" Tablet. The tablet is a "no-name" and was not expensive, but it works really well and looks great. The specs said it was expandable up to 32 gb (TF), and there is an external slot for the card. I purchased a Sandisk 32 gb TF card.

Here's my problem: The little card will NOT fit into the slot in the tablet. I've pushed on it as hard as I dare, but it won't go in! There is a little drawing on the back of the tablet showing which way the card should go in, but it just won't. If I turn it over and insert it the other way, it just slides out.

WHAT am I doing wrong???

Thanks for any help!

Jo Anne

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum Jo Anne, thanks for joining!

First, need to confirm that you purchased a card that looks like this:

SanDiskMicroSD32gb.jpg

There are lots of cheap (counterfeit) cards that may not fit just right, and then it is possible that your tablet has a bad slot.

It definitely should not be forced in too hard or it could break.

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
It doesn't look EXACTLY like that! Here's a pic, hope it's not too blurry!

000_1940.jpg

Also, I received an 8 gb from the tablet vendor along with my tablet, and it doesn't fit either. There's only one little slot for the card.

Your help is much appreciated!
Jo Anne

Attachments

• $000_1940.JPG
    $000_1940.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 391

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
They look the same to me,JoAnne...you are probably not doing anything wrong, it's easy to stick an s/d in the slot with proper instruction. I guess the slot is defective? But if you don't trust you did the right thing, why don't you stop by best Buy or any store that sells phones..one of the sale persons can try for you and if it still doesn't go in, hope you can return your tablet.

Samsung Galaxy Note

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for your help. I'll contact the tablet vendor and see what he wants to do.

Jo Anne

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
I had difficulty trying to put my card in the first couple of times too. It was real finicky and had to be perfectly lined up I guess. It finally installed and now it isn't an issue.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Just a thought. When inserting the cards, some cards seem to be too short or the slots too deep. It may need to be inserted, not with pressure but far enough that you feel a little push back then another mm further it may seat itself. The card may appear slightly recessed in the slot. There is a spring inside the slot that tries to eject it so it needs to be inserted just so.

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks so much for trying to help. I realize it's difficult when you can't see the tablet itself. I can only push the card in a little over half way. I can feel the spring, but the card just won't go all the way in. It seems like it should "click" in place and be almost flush with the slot. When I "bottom out", the card it sticking up about 1/4". I have an 8 gb TF card supplied by the tablet vendor, and a 32 gb TF SanDisk card which I purchased, and neither one will fit.

I've contacted the tablet vendor and asked about returning the tablet for a refund. I have a 60 return with a cash refund. So now I'll wait to hear from him.......hopefully!

Thanks again!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It seems like it should "click" in place and be almost flush with the slot.

Hi Jo Anne, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you as a member here at Android Tablets. You're absolutely correct about the card ending up almost flush when it's properly inserted into a slot that's not defective. Hope you don't have any problems getting that refund. Enjoy the forum!

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
I'm returning the tablet today. I decided I'll try ONE more tablet from them to give them another chance. I have 60 days to give it a try. If the new one doesn't allow installation of the card, I'll be getting my money back!

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!

Jo Anne

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
Just thought I'd let everyone know -- I mailed my tablet back on Tuesday and my brand new one arrived today! From Tuesday to Saturday, not bad!
My 32 gb memory card fit perfectly and all is wonderful! We (hubby and I) realized we were trying to follow the little diagram on the back of the tablet which showed which way to insert the card -- it actually goes in the opposite way! (hard to explain) We feel stupid, but we kept trying to insert it according to the diagram -- follow the rules. My hubby is really smart too -- has a Bachelor's Degeee, a Master's Degree and a Doctorate! What we needed was a 12 year old kid!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, all is well now -- thanks to everyone who tried to help!
Jo Anne

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Glad everything turned out fine,I usually do that if I can't open a medicine bottle...I ask one of my friends kids! :)

Samsung Galaxy Note

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The instructions, being on the back, were upside down. Not your fault. ;);0

jodeg

Jun 11, 2012
We feel like idiots! Just shows how our generation "follows the rules"! I'm so lucky that the eBay Seller I bought the tablet from was so understanding and patient, and willing to send me a brand new one super-fast!

By the way, even though this is a "non-branded" tablet, it's working just great so far. Google Play apps are downloading fine too. I'm stuck on "Angry Birds" right now, heaven help me!

Thanks again for everyone's help!