server error and unfortunately google has stopped working

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
any idea how to fix server error or the unfortunately google has stopped working i have tried to use the tweaks thats on traveller1701 signiture i manage to get google woking for a short while but aa soon as i try to download or update anything it stops working then i get server error when i try to restart it, i have tried clearing cache and force stopping google play and google framework and clearing account.
its getting a bit frustrating now as i have been trying to sort this for ages any ideas or help would be great

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Refresh my memory. Did you do a factory reset from CWM? If you didn't, I would. That will reset absolutely everything.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Refresh my memory. Did you do a factory reset from CWM? If you didn't, I would. That will reset absolutely everything.
i have done a full reset then restore, restart, then a full reset installed the gapps package, restart,then istalled google play then installed your tweaks, restart and google play still keeps failing

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ok...just went to goo.im and went to the download page for 20120429. It has a mention on it to do the following:

Revert GoogleBackupTransport.apk to 20120317 version.*
--From wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps
I'm taking a look at something in mine. I suspect that for my personal copy of the Google apps zip file I did this replacement already but simply do not remember doing so. I'm downloading a fresh copy of the 20120429 Google apps package and the 20120317 apps package to see if the file size changed. But, you can do something for me: download the 20120317 package, unzip the package, copy the apk to /system/app and make sure the permissions are set. See if that fixes your issue.

EDIT: Checked my tablet. GoogleBackupTransport.apk has a version number of 4.0.4-255454, while the other apks in the Google apps package have version 4.0.4-299849. This means I must have replaced the file in my zip, since I know I had no difficulty with the Play Store after installing the package. That also means if you replace the file as mentioned on the download page, you should be able to successfully run the apps without crashing.

I apologize for not remembering this, but I have a lot going on here, which makes it difficult to keep my head straight. I knew I was missing something important however. :)

EDIT 2: Check your PMs.

Last edited:

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Hi. Thank you I will try what you have said.
I can appreciate that the real world has a tendency to be complicated so no worries I just hope that my inexperience with all the tablet stuff isn't annoying as I do value your help.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You're fine. Just let me know if my suspicions regarding that file are correct.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
You're fine. Just let me know if my suspicions regarding that file are correct.

i have tried replacing the GoogleBackupTransport.apk but no good then i applied the tweaks googleplay but wont finish booting just gets to the android logo which is also upside down which flashes as it does.
so i tried the file that you gave me the link too and google play wouldnt start, just flashes on briefly, tried the tweaks and still no luck

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You have a nandroid backup of the ROM before trying to add Google Play, correct? I know you have a system dump, but having a nandroid is far easier.

Restore back to stock, then apply the file that I gave you the link to. DO NOT attempt to install the tweaks yet. Let the Coby boot, enter in your information and try using Google Play.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
i have done a reset then restore then reset,then your file then the google play app. i get to the point of downloading something and i get "unfortunately google play has stopped" so i clear recent apps and clear google framework and google play data and stop them and try again but get server error so i do the resets again and then restart the tablet and get server error

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Not that I think it would make much difference, but I installed my tweaks after I installed the Play Store. I had to give it a chance to update itself and allow me to enter information before I could change the build.prop and add the XML files.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
ok i will give it a try it seems to be a bit hit and miss atm. kind of frustrating, get almost there and then fails.
never mind eh. cant believe how much time i have spent trying to get this thing working the way i want.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
I am beginning to think that I won't get Google play to work I think I have tried everything.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I am beginning to think that I won't get Google play to work I think I have tried everything.

Since you have clockworkmod installed, have you tried vampirefo's 9742_Mobiz_V.2 rom ? It has gapps. That thread also has a boot image and a stock rom.

My tab is a 7042, so I haven't tested the 9742 roms, but It seems you might be able to try the Mobiz custom rom, and also the stock rom posted on that thread. try adding the gapps zip on that stock rom.

The great thing about clockworkmod is you can try different roms and zips till you find what works best for you. If you have a problem, just flash your working backup and try something else.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Hi thanks tpaine. I have tried the mobiz and all worked except I had problems accessing the inner sdcard and the camera wouldn't work properly. So it would seem that if I want the market then I can't have a camera and vice versa