Set CPU...did I set it rigfht?

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
I have a question also - I'm running rooted 2.1 OC'd with Dalingrin's kernel and clocked at 1.1 GHz. I have SetCPU but no profiles as of yet - could you suggest either the correct profiles or a place or text file to find them. I'm concerned about a good mix of performance/battery. Thanks very much for this informative thread/suggestions.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have a question also - I'm running rooted 2.1 OC'd with Dalingrin's kernel and clocked at 1.1 GHz. I have SetCPU but no profiles as of yet - could you suggest either the correct profiles or a place or text file to find them. I'm concerned about a good mix of performance/battery. Thanks very much for this informative thread/suggestions.

Try this thread. Rico has a good tutorial at the beginning of the thread. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...19-setcpu-settings-nookcolor-3.html#post52675

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Jp, I changed the battery profile from 50%to 65% as suggested. What changed with this setting is that in the first half of the battery I got 4 hours and after I got 3. Kind of the opposite of before. SO whatever I do I get 7hours of use.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
Just as a reminder, it is NOT recommended to use SetCPU with CyanogenMod CM7.

Not sure of the details as to why, I just know that the developers are saying NOT to use SetCPU with CyanogenMod CM7.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Jp, I changed the battery profile from 50%to 65% as suggested. What changed with this setting is that in the first half of the battery I got 4 hours and after I got 3. Kind of the opposite of before. SO whatever I do I get 7hours of use.

Was there a difference in th type of use? That is to say were you maybe reading half the day and watching videos the other half? That would make a difference.

Also, were you still considering using an overclock kernel? One last thing have you been checking your "Time in State" on the info tab of SetCPU?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP, no I didn ' t do anything different in the first 50%or the second but I ' ll double check. I ' m getting I think over 7 hours of use just surfing and I ' m happy with it. I didn't read yet the instructions about overclocking but. I don't need it. I might do it just because it ' s easy. if it is easy.
I. did check my- time in state- but do you think those numbers make any sense to me? Let me see if I can show you s pic of the set CPU into page.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP, no I didn ' t do anything different in the first 50%or the second but I ' ll double check. I ' m getting I think over 7 hours of use just surfing and I ' m happy with it. I didn't read yet the instructions about overclocking but. I don't need it. I might do it just because it ' s easy. if it is easy.
I. did check my- time in state- but do you think those numbers make any sense to me? Let me see if I can show you s pic of the set CPU into page.

$11-03-22-1.pnghere is a screenshot

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That's a great pic, I can read it just fine. To get a really good idea of how long you are spending in each state you should reboot to reset the numbers and then record them just before the battery dies (or it is time to recharge).

So here are the numbers I was interested in...

Time in State
800000 787328 = 800MHz for 787,328 units of time
600000 4526976 = 600MHz for 4,526,976 units of time
300000 2364303 = 300MHz for 2,364,303 units of time

idon'tknow (haha) what the time units are but it isn't too important. From this we can do a little math and find that the percent of time you were in each state 800MHz for 10%, 600MHz for 59% and 300MHz for 31%. So we can see that most of your time was spent at 600MHz. I have noticed that the Nook tends to only drop to 300MHz for sleep. Even while idle it runs at 600MHz for a large part of the time when the screen is on (well at least if you have it auto checking for email, updating the weather, news feeds, running a live wall paper and so on).

To squeeze out even more life you can try adding another profile. So you have something like this.

Profiles-
Screen Off - Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 98
Charging/Full - Max 800MHz , Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 95
Battery<35% - Battery 35%; Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<65% - Battery 65%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85

One key to getting this right is going to be how far down you drain your nook when using it. I am a frequent recharger, so I am unlikely to get down to 35% and won't see any improvement with a profile like this. If you run it down well below 35% every day then you should see some extended life. If you don't notice enough gain from 35% on then you could try 45%. I am a little hesitant to go much higher than that though because I feel like it will make your Nook feel slugish more than half the time you use it.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Another option since you have spent so little time at 800MHz and don't seem to be complaining about slugishness is to set your profiles as follows.

Profiles-
Screen Off - Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 98
Charging/Full - Max 800MHz , Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 95
Battery<40% - Battery 40%; Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<95% - Battery 95%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85

This would be very agressive towards battery life and probably be just fine for basic reading/email checking. To surf the web, play games or watch videos you could still get good performance when plugged in.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Oh and if you want to go really nuts try setting your Max on the "Main" tab to 300MHz for a day and see what kind of life you get. I would recommend you read a long novel that day since the processor will be running at its slowest. :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
HI JP, well I 'm going to try the first setting first and report, of course, nowIknow eh eh how to read the numbers, so no screenshot. I do get very low every day before I charge. With your new setting in the past 2days I made it home before my nook would warn me that the battery was at 10% and just turn off. But before that ,that was the routine .
I've been reading at home, plugged in with my opera, this is to say that all the numbers you read are about mostly internet surfing. I've been doing some research so I'm online a lot. I'm already happy with this setting but I 'm going to try all the others... .ehi,I'm not going to say no to more battery life !
Tank you
Gg

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Last night I was still out and I was still online when my battery went down to 10% and the nook turned off. But when I changed the setting to the first you suggested I was at. 40%, so I used it 3hours before it shut off. May be it was a lil bit slower, but it didn't bother. Today I started with a full charge and so far I'm at 83% after 2hours use, it looks good but we'll see at the end of the battery and I'll check the- time on state-
Gg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gloria it sounds like you are pretty close to where you want to be with being able to make it home before it shuts off. Hopefully we can get it to go a little longer than where it is now. Like you said, your not going to say "no" to more battery life.

-JP :D

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Whaoo JP I did 9 hours! I think every10%of battery is used up in an hour. I can't use the last 10% because my device turns off when it gets to that point. I like this experiment! How do you know all this things? But let me read you. the- Time in State. -
800 MHr for 4,624 units
600 MHr for 146,996
300 MHr for 472,218
As it is now, it's perfect and I want to thank youagain for that, but I'm going to try the second profile you set for me just for the sake of the experiment and because is fun and because I can.
And I'll come back to report
gloria