Shortened battery life after 2.2?

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
Anyone else finding the battery life is seriously compromised after 2.2 update? After 20 minutes with everything running I got the "under 30%" message. Any fixes?

Thanks!

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
I have Cache Cleaner, Advanced Task Killer Pro, and other things keeping the running apps in check but I'm only getting about 30m-1hr run time w/ 24hr standby. So yea. something fishy is going on with power consumption for the 2.2.2 update.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
I have the best buy s7-104. Just finished the 2.2.2 dl and have been playing with the battery life issue. The best time for me so far with wi-fi on has been about 90 minutes from full charge to the 20% mark. wondering if the increased clock speed is affecting this. So far no luck with SOC rooting so I cannot completely control setCPU. Overall, battery life has been my one BIG issue with this little tablet.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
It's sad that my Huawei U8150 gets 4-5 days before I need to charge it and I use it more than my S7 =P I just like the larger screen and that the GPS is more accurate on the it. Now I think the issue might be that we need a custom rom with downclock and overclock. This will allow the CPU to run at lower speeds using less power when in standby mode. Now I personally do not like setCPU. I always had crashes and freezes randomly when I used it on 2.1. So I just got the Singapore rom that was preclocked. So, a custom rom would be nice ^_^ But, we'll have to wait for recovery till we can see any customisations, like roms, coming out for 2.2.2

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
havn't seen a built in "cpu clock" app with the new 2.2 update....... what app are different users using for under/over clocking ?

thx

Last edited:

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
To UC/OC my phone uses 'no frills CPU Control' app. You can check it out here. From what I've read, unlike setCPU that has pre-scripted changes, you make the scripts for your rom. Before I flashed to a rom with this my phone only lasted 1-2 days. Now I get 4-5 and it runs smoother. When I used setCPU it just crashed because the OC wasn't stable. And, setCPU doesn't UC that well from what I've read. Maybe rictec can incorperate this into his CM7 later on but it doens't require CMx only roms. You just need the rom to be sysfs-enabled.

UPDATE: Found that the light sensor is not working causing the auto dimmer to not function correctly. This is probably not helping with battery life =P

Last edited:

Limey

Mar 15, 2011
I just tried the auto dimmer on mine, it will brighten the screen but wont darken it.

Sent from my IDEOS S7

blade111

Jan 14, 2011
Anyone working on a fix for this or are there different kernels that can be flashed to the Huawei?

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Turn auto dimmer off and manually adjust it till someone can find a fix. This will greatly increase battery life.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I am seeing better battery life than before and I am just using the settings that I used before. I have had this on without charging for 4 1/2 hours and playing games and reading twitter/Facebook for about an hour and a half.

What I have done is turned my display down to about 24%, turned off data updates since I only am using Wi-Fi, turned off the radio using the dazzel and turned off GPS and am using wireless settings for locations.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Android Tablet Forum

smatofu

Apr 21, 2011
I don't use cell phone connection on my Ideos S7; I use WiFi. I am going to test this idea: turn AIRPLANE mode ON, turn WiFi ON. Until today, my thinking was that if I didn't have a SIM card inside Ideos, the cell radio would be automatically OFF. But, I might have been wrong. I will let you know when I have any conclusive results.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I use my S7 with the same apps and settings and the battery life is at least equal to what it was with 2.1, maybe a little better. One thing I notice now is the screen brightness tends to behave a little better, staying where I set it, and this probably helps a bit.

t.c

Feb 2, 2011
On 2.1 under normal to heavy use I used to get about 3hrs now on 2.2 I'm getting nearly 2hrs. I am currently testing juice defender but after a day see no great difference. This maybe due to the config options of the app?
I will try and do a direct comparison when I have to revert back to the stock 2.1.

smatofu

Apr 21, 2011
My configuration:
Android 2.2, Airplane mode (no sim), WiFi On, BT Off, GPS Off, backlight between 5% and 20%, underclocked with SetCPU to 576, Taskiller widget shows 311MB memory
Usage: Web browsing, short web videos, book reading, solitaire

Battery life: 4-5 hours