Should I leave CM7 on nook for my Mom

bigdog100

Jan 18, 2013
I bought a 16gb NOOK for my mother and rooted and installed cm7. She lives far away and don't want her to have any problems. Should I just leave CM7 on it and not install CM10. My understanding is CM7 is most stable??

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi bigdog, it is really a personal preference. All custom ROMs are works in progress that are never done. So CM7 is frozen at whatever point people moved onto the latest and greatest. Each time there is a new ROM they are building on previous efforts though so somethings continue to move forward while other pieces have to be developed from scratch.

In this case I do not believe CM7 is any more stable than the current CM10 versions available. That ins't to say that CM10 is flawless but CM7 and CM10 each have their own issues. I highly recommend CM10 for the improvements it brings since it is a jump from Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).

Since you already have a custom ROM installed you should also have a recovery installed (ClockWork Mod Recovery or TWRP). If you don't, use the Goo Manager or ROM Manger apps (in the Play store) to install one. Then boot into recovery and make a back-up (Nand). This will allow you to flash back to exactly how things are on the device at the time of the backup should you have any issues.

After you have a Nand backup download a CM10 and Jelly Bean Google Apps zip files and put them on an SD card. Power down, insert the SD card and boot to recovery. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, clear cache partition and dalvik cache. Then flash the CM10 ROM followed by the Gapps. Reboot setup and enjoy CM10.

JP

bigdog100

Jan 18, 2013
Thank you for the great writeup. I do have both the goo manager and rom manager app on the nook , just use those to make backup and not to load cm10? I personally have the nexus 7 and would of bought the nook if I knew about the flashing then.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thank you for the great writeup. I do have both the goo manager and rom manager app on the nook , just use those to make backup and not to load cm10? I personally have the nexus 7 and would of bought the nook if I knew about the flashing then.

Actually I meant use them to make a nand backup just in case. Then wipe the device and go for CM10. The Nook Tablet (16GB which has 1GB of RAM) with CM10 runs very comparably to the Nexus 7. The NT does lack the front facing camera and GPS but gives you a microSD slot so I would say it is a great alternative depending on your needs and willingness to tinker.

bigdog100

Jan 18, 2013
j515, I have been searching cm10 and I see many differnt versions is this one ok for nook: pa_s7-2.99-20NOV2012-JotaMG.zip and does it matter what gapps I use? Thanks

MrBookworm

Feb 27, 2013
It really depends on how much time you have on your hands. Rooted is rooted is rooted. I never updated my sister's Nook Color, and she seems happy with it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
j515, I have been searching cm10 and I see many differnt versions is this one ok for nook: pa_s7-2.99-20NOV2012-JotaMG.zip and does it matter what gapps I use? Thanks

Like MrBookworm said it depends on how much time you have but usually the most recent version you can get your hands on at the time you are going through the process is the best. For the Gapps you should make sure they are for Jelly Bean if you are using CM10 (which is Jelly Bean). Other than that it doesn't matter which version you use.